95 snapper rer won't sift

sandoya

Forum Newbie
Threads
hi, I have a "95 28 in. rer. Ihad to replace the brake /clutch cables because they broke. I can't get it to shift. It will shift in the upright positiion, but when i put it down on the ground, it won't shift. I can't figure out why. Any ideas? Other than burning some oil, this has been a great mower for 18 years. I don't know if it's worn out or not. I thought I'd join up and ask. thanks in advance.
Joe

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try not pushing the Pedal all the way down just push it about 3/4 the way

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

sandoya

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, thanks for responding. I tried your suggestion tonight and no go. I'll keep working on it this weekend.
Joe

sandoya

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: 95 snapper rer won't shift

I figured out why my snapper won't shift. the axle bearing or whatever the axle goes through is so worn out that when I put in on the ground the axle rises up enough to stop the rubber wheel mechanism form moving onto the drive plate ( not sure of the terminology) . I'm going to try and rebuild the axle/wheel assembly. It looks like a straight forward job, if I can get that triangle shaped piece off. Do I just have to drive off? I tried and couldn't get it to move at all. Any input from anyone will be appreciated. This may lead to a total overhaul, would be fun.

valveguy

Threads
In 1764 Ben Franklin said, " Snapper RERs never wear out."

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sometimes their design ignorance causes them to simply fall apart and it costs about 200 bucks to get it repaired.

Attachments

• snapper parts.jpg
    snapper parts.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 19

valveguy

Threads
Parts do wear out but routine maintenance is required on anything mechanical; trimmers, edgers,saws,refrigerators, washing machines, etc. At those times you have to spend some bucks. A little preventive maintenance can go a long way towards reducing those expensives and I have always surprised myself after attemping to do most repairs myself. Right now the only problem I am having with my 33" RER is finding the proper length of belt to fit it. I have purchased two belts, with the correct part no. and both are too short and keep the blade engaged, even without touching the tensioner lever. My neighbors are cutting their lawns already and mine is beginning to look a little shabby.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Parts do wear out but routine maintenance is required on anything mechanical; trimmers, edgers,saws,refrigerators, washing machines, etc. At those times you have to spend some bucks. A little preventive maintenance can go a long way towards reducing those expensives and I have always surprised myself after attemping to do most repairs myself. Right now the only problem I am having with my 33" RER is finding the proper length of belt to fit it. I have purchased two belts, with the correct part no. and both are too short and keep the blade engaged, even without touching the tensioner lever. My neighbors are cutting their lawns already and mine is beginning to look a little shabby.
Are you following the manual instructions for belt replacement?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Belt length should be 71 1/4 inch.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

valveguy

Threads
I bought an Oregon 72" belt and it is too short. Someone else on this forum said it takes a 74" belt and I am having difficulty finding that length. I hate to give in to buying from the local dealer because they are very proud of their merchandise. With the 72" belt the blade is engaged all the time. I ran it for about 20 minutes in hopes of it stretching but that didn't happen.

Last edited: