87 octane with ethanol OR 91 octane ethanol free

konowl

Forum Newbie
So I found a local gas station who has ethanol free gas but it's 91 octane. I'm thinking about switching my outboard 90hp boat, push mower and tractor to ethanol free. Is it worht the extra cost of 91 octane? Doesn't really matter for the tractor and the push mower as it won't be that much more, but it's the boat. I want to keep the engine clean as long as possible.
 
I don't know how much more per gallon the ethanol free gas is, but it will be much better for the boat and also for any engine.
I'd bet you get more hours per gallon and a much cleaner engine with ethanol free gas.
 
I use ethanol free in every thing I own.Write your State Representatives and ask why you are forced to buy gas with ethanol in it.It ruins engines,pollutes more and you get less mileage.Hint (can you say corn lobby!!!)Not only that but because the price has been driven up on corn,meat and dairy products.
 
Been promoting non-ethanol fuel since I joined this forum. Is it worth the extra cost, YES. Also, try it in you car and watch the milage increase after two tankfulls.
 
Been promoting non-ethanol fuel since I joined this forum. Is it worth the extra cost, YES. Also, try it in you car and watch the milage increase after two tankfulls.

I'm not overly concerned with the added cost although my boat will suck. I'm concerned about running 91 octane in my small engines and my 2 stroke boat
 
I'm not overly concerned with the added cost although my boat will suck. I'm concerned about running 91 octane in my small engines and my 2 stroke boat
The Marina I bought my boat from told me to run the Premium non ethenol in my 25 Merc 2 stroke.I also use it in my Husqvarna chain saws.
 
ABSOLUTELY .... worth every penny note your GPH burned , then report back. I'm betting it improves by 1gph or so...
 
No ethanol= good
Higher octane, not so much. As discussed in another thread, a change in octane requires a change in timing, something you can't do in a small engine in a mower, walk behind or rider. Buy ethanol free if you can, but stick with the recommended octane in most anything you can't monkey with the timing on.
 
No ethanol= good
Higher octane, not so much. As discussed in another thread, a change in octane requires a change in timing, something you can't do in a small engine in a mower, walk behind or rider. Buy ethanol free if you can, but stick with the recommended octane in most anything you can't monkey with the timing on.

....explain what will happen if you run higher octane.
 
Back
Top