87 octane with ethanol OR 91 octane ethanol free

Clearly, if ethanol absorbs water from the air, that explains the corrosion. But varnish and gum have always been an issue. I think the economy plays a part. People haven't been replacing equipment as much, I'll bet. And a couple years of varnish build up doesn't help much either.
 
Our local repair shop that has been in business for a lot of years is reccomending 100 octane air plane fuel.
 
Clearly, if ethanol absorbs water from the air, that explains the corrosion. But varnish and gum have always been an issue. I think the economy plays a part. People haven't been replacing equipment as much, I'll bet. And a couple years of varnish build up doesn't help much either.

Maybe if people took better care of their equipment ethanol wouldn't be such an issue. My sister mows once a month she fills up her lawn mower once a year maybe twice. This is an example she let's that gas sit and it goes bad. She takes it to her dealer and there is damage now she's a statistic.

My dad has a bit of land up north he has 2 riding tractors a push mower a dr field mower and a echo weed eater. He trades me chilli for servicing them once a year. New oil new air filter new spark plugs. And about every other year new carbs again he never takes care of them. The gas in the dr field mower has probably been there since I emptied it last october he filled it up promtply after that. My equipment gets used a lot.... my toro is kinda old but I never let the gas sit and I have never had a problem
 
I thought all gasoline was required to have ethanol in it. I was not aware that 91 octane (mid grade?) was not required to have it. Is 91 octane ethanol free everywhere? If it is, then I am definitely changing to it. The flame propagation time of the slightly higher octane would be insignificant to engine timing.

I left a tiny amount of fuel in my mower over the past winter and it gummed up everything. You know that bad-gas smell and I knew it for several hours as I cleaned the fuel system out. I will never forget to drain my tank completely, I will never forget to drain my tank completely, I will never forget to drain my tank completely...

I know that it messes up boats because it absorbs moisture rapidly, gets stale faster, is detrimental to fuel system components, and I cannot leave it in my standby generator for the season even if it is treated with Stabil because it might not start.
 
I thought all gasoline was required to have ethanol in it. I was not aware that 91 octane (mid grade?) was not required to have it. Is 91 octane ethanol free everywhere? If it is, then I am definitely changing to it. The flame propagation time of the slightly higher octane would be insignificant to engine timing.

I left a tiny amount of fuel in my mower over the past winter and it gummed up everything. You know that bad-gas smell and I knew it for several hours as I cleaned the fuel system out. I will never forget to drain my tank completely, I will never forget to drain my tank completely, I will never forget to drain my tank completely...

I know that it messes up boats because it absorbs moisture rapidly, gets stale faster, is detrimental to fuel system components, and I cannot leave it in my standby generator for the season even if it is treated with Stabil because it might not start.

My dad keeps his generator empty but has a couple cans of that stihl 4 cycle gas that you buy in stores next to it in case of emergency
 
The flame propagation time of the slightly higher octane would be insignificant to engine timing.

My guess is that you're too young to remember cars without computer control, or you'd remember "pinging" issues, or cars that would "diesel" after being turned off for up to a full minute. These were common occurrences when you switched to a different octane, and don't happen on today's cars because of computers.

But to your other question, 91 octane at your local gas station has the ethanol, and I believe the OP was referring to a marina that has ethanol free. Try Google and look for "ethanol free gasoline" and you may come up with something. For example, when I checked a couple years ago, there was a station in my state that had it. And it was only 250 miles away.
 
We have one station ( about 15 miles away ) that has the non-ethanol 91 octane gas . I believe it is a fast track station. But since it comes out of the single hose on the pump , I just put the first gallon or two in my truck before filling my gas can . Next nearest place is a marina , but they run 50 - 75 cents higher / gallon.
 
My guess is that you're too young to remember cars without computer control, or you'd remember "pinging" issues, or cars that would "diesel" after being turned off for up to a full minute. These were common occurrences when you switched to a different octane, and don't happen on today's cars because of computers.

But to your other question, 91 octane at your local gas station has the ethanol, and I believe the OP was referring to a marina that has ethanol free. Try Google and look for "ethanol free gasoline" and you may come up with something. For example, when I checked a couple years ago, there was a station in my state that had it. And it was only 250 miles away.

I'm not too young to remember. I remember pimging, dieseling, and vapor lock....:rolleyes: I also remember putting in "dry gas" in the winter to keep fuel lines from freezing. Wasn't that basically ethanol? As usual, I'm confused...:eek:
Bruce
 
I don't remember what exactly it was, but ethanol seems right. But no where near as much as what is in today's gas.

And wow. Vapor lock. That brings back bad memories. My honeymoon, and what I later guessed was vapor lock. But as we drove southward and it was happening, I stopped to try and figure it out, and in cleaning myself up afterward, I removed my wedding ring to wash up, and left it in a gas station bathroom in South Carolina.
 
Back
Top