6.75 B&S gold

Threads
This mower starts and runs when cold. After its warmed up it will sputter and almost backfire and stall. When you go to restart it it will idle real low for 20 seconds then stall. When it cools off it will start and run good again for 15 minutes.
I have changed the gas, gas line, carb, spark plug, manifold, coil and flywheel. It still does it. Head gasket is probably the next step unless somebody knows anything else to check. Thanks for the help.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I think I know what engine you have, but supply us with the model numbers of the engine.
could be the valves are out of adjustment

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Does it blow black smoke when it is playing up ?
The engines with auto choke seem to give a lot of problems .

Sabres321

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you tried changing your gas cap? Some of those caps have a metal thing on the inside of it (the gas cap) and they can fall into the tank. Check for that if you haven’t.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
On flat heads it's a little more "intensive" as you have to grind off a LITTLE on the end of the valve to open the clearance back up.
But first i would check on what Sabres321 said, and try running it with the gas cap loose so the tank can vent properly. Or when it starts to act up quickly loosen the gas cap and wait to see if it returns normal/.

Threads
On flat heads it's a little more "intensive" as you have to grind off a LITTLE on the end of the valve to open the clearance back up.
But first i would check on what Sabres321 said, and try running it with the gas cap loose so the tank can vent properly. Or when it starts to act up quickly loosen the gas cap and wait to see if it returns normal/.
I have don that numerous times.