42 inch Deck?

Threads
Is anyone out there mowing with a 42 inch Deck? Have a chance to buy Scag Z cat, enclosed trailer 16 foot,blower, trimmers(2) and a power rake for $9900. I'm concerned that 42 inches is too small.
Thanks

xp14629

Threads
What will you be mowing? Only your yard, how big? Commercially, how big are the yards you have lined up? A 42" deck works great for either someone with a medium sized yard who loves to mow and has the time, or some one with one or two city lots and/or a gate that anything bigger cannot get through. Always keep in mind about possible yard upgrades or bringing on more yards as a professional.

Threads
At this point most are between 1/2 and 3/4 acre, the biggest is 1 acre. I am just starting up and do the lawn care on the side. I mow Mon. Wed. Fri. and Sat. I plan to put 20 hrs into the business for the first year.I was originally looking at a 60" Gravely for $8500 and then still needing to buy a trailer(open 7x16) for $2500. This deal would be less start up but I don't want to kick myself later for going to small. I currently have 7 accounts signed.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use a 42in It takes me around a 1/2 hour to cut a acre that's cut trim edge and blow. I have a 48in not to much faster and I like how the 42 cuts. I know Some ppl like the three blades on the big deck. I just think a two blade deck cuts and makes the grass look better

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is anyone out there mowing with a 42 inch Deck? Have a chance to buy Scag Z cat, enclosed trailer 16 foot,blower, trimmers(2) and a power rake for $9900. I'm concerned that 42 inches is too small.
Thanks

With the lawns you'll be cutting the 42" deck should do everything you want to do without any problems. A 42" decks rated time is 1 acre per hour, if you move up to a 46 you would be about 10% faster than the 42 a 50" deck 17% a 54" 24% faster. Remember if you move to a 50 through 60" deck you have a gate problem and you'll be using a push mower or small walk behind so any time gain would be lost. If you can get all the above for the price quoted and it's all in good shape that's not a real bad deal.:thumbsup:

Threads
The seat on the z has one tear in it, but the rest seems good. Regular maitenence was done. 300 hrs on mower, it's a 2007 model. The trailer is new, only 2 months old.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
What type of motor does the mower have? Honda, Kawasaki , Kohler and what HP?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well Like I said the $9900 isn't a real bad deal but it's not a great deal by know means. Now depending on how much of a fanatic you are on equipment you could put together your own package new and come out some cheaper than the price he quoted.
You can buy a 44"ZTR, 36" WB an open trailer, 2 trimmers, 1 edger and a backpack blower all new for around 8K all with at least a 2 and 3 yr warranty and when you start buying used warranty something that you don't have and it can be something that can save you tons of money.