214 electrical problem

lsxcubdeere

Member
I put a battery on my 214 and I had to jump it to get it to start. I put a multi meter on it the battery is getting charged it runs 14 volts while running. I also did a continuity test on the ignition switch and it's good. All the safety switches are good. I also replaced the positive battery cable. So am I looking at a bad starter solenoid?
 
Battery may be bad. 14 volts while the engine is running means the charging system is working properly. Hook your meter to the battery and check the voltage when you try to start it. If it falls below 10 volts, either your battery is not fully charged or it has a bad cell.
 
The battery is new and I still had to jump it to get started.

Buying a new battery does not guarantee that it is good.
What are the cranking amps on the battery?

Try turning the engine by hand clockwise it will get hard to turn then easy then hard. Stop when it is about to get easy again then try to start the engine.

Let us know if it cranks.
 
I put my meter on the battery while it cranked and it fluctuated between 5-10 volts. If you charge the battery it will crank enough to start it but when you shut it off it either won't crank or it acts like the battery has a low charge. It never does the same thing twice in a row. I would have posted this sooner but I had to replace the bearing in the end of the pto pulley.
 
Not saying it can't be the battery solenoid but, The very first things I would be checking would be battery cables and connections.
 
Good news, I made some progress! I took some sand paper to the circuit breaker and ground cable ends and it started without a jump. Bad news I'm going after a new battery and going from there.
 
Buying a new battery does not guarantee that it is good.
What are the cranking amps on the battery?

Try turning the engine by hand clockwise it will get hard to turn then easy then hard. Stop when it is about to get easy again then try to start the engine.

Let us know if it cranks.

I couldn't sleep and went to the garage. For giggles I tried to start it and it started. So my starter might be weak? When I shut it off in the garage it cranked but not very fast.
 
Back
Top