2010 JD Z930A Transmission Leaking Badly

jakesmurray

Threads
Hi PMD,

I don't believe there is a way to access the plug without pulling the trans. It may be possible, but I didn't see an immediate way when I did this repair a few years ago.

smackerquacker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
Any idea when they updated the plug? Have a 2014 Z920M and the left wheel motor is covered in oil. Drips pretty steady when running. Before we pull the wheel motor just wondering if this has the updated plug and is going to be some other issue. Thanks

jakesmurray

Threads
smackerquacker, that’s a great question. I have no idea when they updated it, but maybe someone who knows will chime in.

O'Deere

Forum Newbie
Threads
@ smackerquacker: My 2014 John Deere z915b had the cracked/leaking cap also.

Thanks for everyone's previous comments on this topic. Helped a lot!

My notes after replacing the faulty cap:
1. Cap replacement part # was MIU14382
2. Directions "Remove and Install Fan Assembly" - Fan Assembly Lock Nut Torque 39-46 Nm (28-34 lbft)

3. Use holes on sides of pulley with pulley puller. Insert screw driver in same hole for taking off the fan assembly nut.
4. Directions "Remove and Install Right or Left Transaxle" - Transaxle to Frame Cap Screws Torque 73 Nm (54 lbft)
5. Lift mower high enough to move the transaxle and jack stand out.
6. Clean old oil on outside of pump with old gasoline.
7. I didn't drain the hydraulic fluid before removing the transaxle.
8. Cover hose from the hydraulic reservoir to keep dust and grass out.

Attachments

• Old Plug with Crack.JPG
    Old Plug with Crack.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Pulley with side holes.JPG
    Pulley with side holes.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Transaxle cleaned.JPG
    Transaxle cleaned.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 27

jakesmurray

Threads
O'Deere, I'm glad you were able to gather some helpful information from this thread and repair your leaky transaxle! (y)

spydox

Forum Newbie
Threads
were you able to do the other side without removing the tranny ?

JD4ME2

Forum Newbie
Threads
were you able to do the other side without removing the tranny ?
I replaced the left side on my 2012 Z930a two years ago and I didn't see any way to do the right side with out removing the tranny.
I didn't do the right side and it's still doing good. I don't know why but everyone I have read about that is leaking it always seems to be on left side. Good luck

O'Deere

Forum Newbie
Threads
Old thread - Looks like I replaced one side cap 3 years ago. Had to replace the other side this year. Advice would be to do both sides at same time. It is easier to work on a clean hydro than one covered in muck.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
At least you can drop each transaxle separately; unlike the Z925A where you have to drop both due lack access to the mounting bolts.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Got this thing put back together today, and she is all dry now! 👍

Turns out JD has updated the part number again for the rubber plug. It is now MIU14382. The new plug is all metal with a thin coating of rubber- a much more fail-proof design. So Kudos to JD for realizing and fixing their mistakes. The transaxle is made by a company called Tuff Torq. I had never heard of them. Everything went back together smoothly, and now this machine is ready for the new mowing season. :cool:

View attachment 28314
Steel cap has been out quite awhile as it is Tuff Torq PN 187T0136300 and retails for $3.86.