2010 JD Z930A Transmission Leaking Badly

jakesmurray

Threads
I have this Z-trak mower and the left side transmission is leaking very badly. Right when you pour fluid in the reservoir, it drips out of the top under the belt pulley and drips down the rear housing of the transmission. It is a steady drip until it reaches the point at the top of the transmission where the leak is. The right side transmission is completely dry. When I first got this mower, the reservoir was empty, and it took around 2 qts to fill it to the min line, and the total capacity is 1.2 gallons. Any help is greatly appreciated.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Google: parts jd z930a transaxle parts, click on fourth site down for parts schematic, looks like a major repair.

mowerman05

Threads
My Z 930 A has leaked from day one, not a drip but a small amount of fluid on the pump, been to the dealer 3 times and they resealed were the line come out of the tank, still a small amount of oil on pump non stop.

jakesmurray

Threads
Thanks for the replies guys. This one is leaking real bad, but what is odd is that the right side transmission looks as good as new. It does look like an in-depth repair, I may take it to my dealer just for them to diagnose it and give me a quote on how much it will be to fix it. At only 165 hours, I wouldn't have figured there would already be a major issue like this...

mowerman05

Threads
My right side is clean as well, I believe my problem is the o ring on the end of the hose on the oil reservoir end but only makes the left pump filthy dirty

jakesmurray

Threads
My right side is clean as well, I believe my problem is the o ring on the end of the hose on the oil reservoir end but only makes the left pump filthy dirty

This one is leaking on the rear portion of the tranny. The tube that goes from the reservoir to the transmission is dry and clean, but the back portion of the case is a different story...

I'm going to check into this soon, I'll let you know what I find.

jakesmurray

Threads
I'm going to dig into this tomorrow, I really hope it's something simple and this mower doesn't need a new transmission...

jakesmurray

Threads
Ok, an update. I pulled the transmission out today. It was a bit tricky, but not too terrible. I couldn't get the pulley off by hand, so I went to my local auto parts store and rented a puller. A couple of cranks and it popped right off. Then the problem became obvious. The seal around the input shaft was dry as a bone, to my surprise. The problem lied within the plug that covers the shavings magnet. It had a crack right in the center of it. It is made of rubber, and it was extremely brittle. Turns out the old plug (part no. M809062) has been replaced with a new updated part number (MIU801988). I am interested to see how improved the new plug will be over the old one. I will also be replacing the magnet, as I slightly cracked the old one trying to remove it with needle nose pliers. The part number for it is M119842 for it. I'm also going to look at the other side's transmission and see if I can replace this plug without removing the entire transmission. I'd like to replace it too, because I know it's only a matter of time before it cracks and begins leaking. The pulley covers about 90% of the top of this plug, making it difficult to access, so we will see. More updates to come...

mower.jpg

tranny1.jpg

tranny2.jpg

Glyn Robinson

Threads
glad you found the problem! thanks for the pics!

jakesmurray

Threads
Ordered the parts today from my dealer. They should be in Friday, then I can get this thing back on the lawn. :cool: