2007 Toro Recycler Easy Start 190cc B&S hard starting

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / 2007 Toro Recycler Easy Start 190cc B&S hard starting
Ok, another question. Will this create a problem on this small engine? Noticed it when cleaning the head. Or should I use some RTV with the head gasket?View attachment 68199

Had this on my cylinder head on my Liberty though not as pronounced. It caused a tiny leak of coolant which set a code. Had to change the cylinder head.
RTV?

People, stop using RTV. They make proper gaskets that purposely fit your application. I so dislike tearing into someone else's mess having to dig all that silicone out. Just doubled the labor time.

What you should do is lap that and every removed head and cyl deck surface prior to installing a fresh head gasket.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Found this mower for free several years ago. It wouldn't start. Put in a new carb and it started right up. Ran it for a couple years but last year it had a hard time starting.

Yesterday I ran a leak down test and it said it was only 70%. I could also hear air coming out of the exhaust.

I took off the head and the gasket looks okay. But there appears to be little specks of carbon around the exhaust seat. The piston head doesn't seem to have an excess of carbon. There is a little side to side play in the valves. There is no scoring on the cylinder wall.

So a couple questions:

Can carbon cause the compression leak?

Can these valve seats be ground and reseated?

Is a little side to side play in the valves normal?

Thanks for your help.
Yours and everyone else's engine manual states to de-carbon the cylinder/s and valves at x amount of time. They put it right next to cleaning the cooling fins YEARLY if not more often.

kingjames1

Threads
Well, that wasn't an answer.

Will that divot, or whatever you call it, create a problem?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, that wasn't an answer.

Will that divot, or whatever you call it, create a problem?
That YOU picked up on. Reread what you typed and what I typed again. Let it fester a bit.

kingjames1

Threads
So you're saying poor maintenance caused that divot?

kingjames1

Threads
The company that I bought my cylinder head for my Liberty said they believe it is combustion gases that can burn through aluminum. Another guy said it was just corrosion.

Just trying to find out if the new gasket I bought will be sufficient or do I need to get a new head or use RTV with the new gasket.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
After cleaning the area thoroughly I'd reach for the J B Weld or equivalent then when cured file it off even with the surrounding surface .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Found this mower for free several years ago. It wouldn't start. Put in a new carb and it started right up. Ran it for a couple years but last year it had a hard time starting.

Yesterday I ran a leak down test and it said it was only 70%. I could also hear air coming out of the exhaust. Leaking ex valve.

I took off the head and the gasket looks okay. But there appears to be little specks of carbon around the exhaust seat. Again de-carbon the cylinder per your manual. The piston head doesn't seem to have an excess of carbon. There is a little side to side play in the valves. There is no scoring on the cylinder wall.

So a couple questions:

Can carbon cause the compression leak? Yes.

Can these valve seats be ground and reseated? Yes.

Is a little side to side play in the valves normal? How much is a little? If it rocks in the guide, and you see it with your eyes, the guide is shot.

Thanks for your help.

kingjames1

Threads
After cleaning the area thoroughly I'd reach for the J B Weld or equivalent then when cured file it off even with the surrounding surface .
Thank you. just don't want to put a lot of money into this. Not sure what a new head would cost. It seems to me RTV or JB Weld would work fine on a small engine like this.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I could be wrong but i doubt RTV would tolerate the heat . That info. may be in the literature on the tube .