2006 Craftsman DLT 3000 Electrical Issue

Darell Wade

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
Hopefully someone can help me troubleshoot an electrical issue that I am having with my 2006 Craftsman DLT 3000 riding mower. The unit started up good last Fall, but something weird
has happened to the electrical system since then. When I sit in the seat and turn the ignition key - nothing happens. The solenoid does not click, but the headlights do come on. The battery
has a charge of 12.69 Volts and the brake is in the locked position. Now the weird part - when I get off of the seat and turn the ignition key to the first selection past Stop ( Headlights ) the
solenoid clicks, the starter engages continuously and the engine turns over. When I turn the ignition key to the second selection past Stop ( Run ) the starter continues to engage continuously
with the engine still turning over. When I turn the ignition key to the third selection ( Start ) - nothing changes. I have removed and tested the solenoid and it is working fine. I even put on a
new solenoid to verify that it's not a solenoid issue. I replaced the 7-terminal ignition switch with a new one, but that has no effect of the problem. Something could be shorted out somewhere
in the wiring harness, but I haven't been able to locate where the trouble is - as of yet. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Craftsman # 175566 IGNITION SWITCH.jpg
    Craftsman # 175566 IGNITION SWITCH.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 1

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What is the model from the serial number tag? Usually starts with 917.

But starter solenoid shouldn't be receiving any voltage until the keyswitch is in the start position where the "S" terminal is active
1712774141188.png
I suspect the ignition switch has failed but that is just an educated guess.

Darell Wade

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model # 917.273482
I replaced the ignition switch - but it is doing the same thing.
Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here is the schematic for your mower. This will help with the troubleshooting.

1712780932408.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
At this time of year in the USA mice chewing through wiring is the usual cause

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When they are not chewing and nesting in the equipment? It is a year round problem here.