20 HP Wierd oil leak

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Ohh its one of those, I've got one Just like that. 1. Is the oil overfilled at all? I use some heavier oil because these engines are so old and mine has low compression. How much oil is coming out? It is normal for a mist to come out.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
I say drain the oil because it sounds like gas got into your oil. Replace with some 20W50. That should fix it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Briggs opposed twin L flat head. I wouldn't worry about head gaskets since they would leak external to the engine. I would look hard at the oil level and if it smells like gas. Also there could be an issue with the breather reed disc has broke which can cause similar issues.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Considering this is a 24+ yr old engine there is a good change that one or both exhaust valve guides are worn out.

When I started professionally service Briggs engine back in 2009 I received a lot push mowers that swore had bad head gasket when it was only the exhaust valve guide. Dont see many L heads now days. Back then you could get after market replacement guides.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is a Briggs from the supplied pics, not a Kroller. Just stating the obvious. Don't know what it is doing in the Kroller section??