Export thread

1999 F925

BlazNT

BlazNT

OK here is a good one. My new to me 1999 F925 with yanmar disel has been draining the battery very slowly. I finally found the problem. When the mower is off, one of the indicator panel lights glows very dim. I can only see this in the dark. If I remove the light that is on it just moves to the next one. Any ideas anyone?

G

gainestruk

My first thought would be key switch is letting power thru, get a multimeter and check if you can find any power getting past switch on any leg beside power cable from battery.

M

mechanic mark

First, check by hand all ground cables and straps making sure they are tight and secure, especially from engine to frame, remove corrosion if present.

reynoldston

reynoldston

First, check by hand all ground cables and straps making sure they are tight and secure, especially from engine to frame, remove corrosion if present.

I do agree with this being a bad ground but if this checks out you will have to do a drew test.

B

bertsmobile1

There are generaly two circuit boards behind the engine.
They get very dusty if not cleaned down regularly with compressed air.
Good chance you are getiing a short on one of the boards.

BlazNT

BlazNT

No ground issues. I was amazed at how nice they looked. I did how ever find a relay when unplugged the light went off. I am chasing this down. One set of wires hed to the positive cable close to the starter. The others I have not figured out yet.

BlazNT

BlazNT

My first thought would be key switch is letting power thru, get a multimeter and check if you can find any power getting past switch on any leg beside power cable from battery.

I checked all connections and then unplugged it and light still on.

BlazNT

BlazNT

There are generaly two circuit boards behind the engine.
They get very dusty if not cleaned down regularly with compressed air.
Good chance you are getiing a short on one of the boards.

I will look at this first thing tomorrow.

BlazNT

BlazNT

I think I actually found it this time. Disconnected the oil pressure sensor and the light went out. Going to replace and see what it does.

reynoldston

reynoldston

This is the reason to do a draw test. It will bring you right to the problem. Don't just start replacing parts unless you like spending money.

BlazNT

BlazNT

I was going to install a digital oil presser gauge anyway so no extra cost now. Battery has been holding 12.48v all day. I will check again tomorrow. I don't know how to do a draw down test. Would love to learn but just don't know how.

B

bertsmobile1

Turn everything off then hook up an ampmeter between one of th battery terminals and the lead that normally connects to it ( ie ampmeter is in series with the battery )
If you get a reading, something is drawing power.

Cheap and nasty way is to make & break contact between the battey and one terminal wire in a very dark place.
If it sparks then again some thing is pulling down power.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Yep I finally found a youtub video about how to do it. I was basically doing the same thing only with the light and not a volt meter. Im going to do it with a volt meter today after work to see if anything else is wrong.

reynoldston

reynoldston

You may show power draw with a volt meter. I just use a DC test light myself. You want to check for amperage draw not voltage.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Yes use the amp setting on the volt meter. When amp draw goes down the you find the offender.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Battery still up and no amp draw. Consider this fixed.

reynoldston

reynoldston

You just can't get any better then that :thumbsup:

BlazNT

BlazNT

Let me thank everyone that helped. It turned on my brain to be able to fix this issue quickly. New gauge is here so I will install that tonight after work and see how that works.

BlazNT

BlazNT

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to update everyone on this issue. The problem came beck. I guess the battery was holding on for a while before it went dead. Further investigation came to a really weird part. First let me tell you someone had moved the relays position on the mower. I thought I was working on the starter relay when I was actually haveing problems with the GLO Plugs control modual. That being said it was the fact that someone replaced the control modual with a relay. It is wired backwards for a relay. It was tripping the relay all the time so the battery drain was that. I replaced the control modual and it is running and working like a charm. It only cost $67.00 and almost a year to completely figure it out. I wish people that have no knowledge in electrical issues would just leave things alone.