1983 Lawn Boy 8241AE

turfboy1997

Threads
Well I got this mower off eBay two weeks ago and it has been a chore! There was slop in the bearings so I cracked it open and put in new bearings and crank seals and cleaned the piston and exhaust ports. I cleaned and reinstalled the rod bearings and degreased the whole engine and RTV sealed the two halves. I installed the new capstan gasket and put In a new PTO seal. It runs really well but the plastic carb is a little fickle on adjustment. I installed a new needle and seat, bowl gasket and carb to block gasket. I greased the capstan, removed all the rust off the chrome using wet aluminum foil and rubbing. The one great thing is the original battery holds a 14 volt charge! So I did not have to rebuild the battery! I am just in love with these F motors! They are so smooth and easy to rebuild! I did the complete rebuild and had it running in two hours! Best of all it is tight like it just came out of the box! Hope you enjoy the pics!

image-3134950650.jpg

Attachments

• image-2266427995.jpg
    image-2266427995.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 35
  • image-667048748.jpg
    image-667048748.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 27

scott47429

Threads
very nice mower i wish you was closer i have another one just like it other then its not self propelled i want to get rid of i hate it

scott47429

Threads
yes i have a few pics of it i hate it cause its hard to start cause it needs a battery and im not a lawn boy person also its not self propelled if i keep it and i hope i dont im going to put a pull start on it

Attachments

• 092912121755.jpg
    092912121755.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 092912121802.jpg
    092912121802.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 092912121814.jpg
    092912121814.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 23
Threads
yes i have a few pics of it i hate it cause its hard to start cause it needs a battery and im not a lawn boy person also its not self propelled if i keep it and i hope i dont im going to put a pull start on it

Yeah I would hate a mower if it was hard to start and not self-propelled, too! I, too, am not really a LawnBoy person. I have only used one once. It was a loner the dealer gave me while my Honda HRR was in the shop (before I got my HRX). It was a personal pace similar to the one in the following picture. It wasn't bad, but I am more of a Honda fan.
lawnboy.jpg

scott47429

Threads
LOL cool yeah i would rather have a Murray then a Lawn Boy but im just not a 2 cycle guy never have been its just me i have nothing against the mowers i just wouldnt own one and the only reason that its hard to start is the battery is weak and wont turn it over fast enough unless you put it on the charger for a hour or so once its running it runs great and will mow anything

Threads
LOL cool yeah i would rather have a Murray then a Lawn Boy but im just not a 2 cycle guy never have been its just me i have nothing against the mowers i just wouldnt own one and the only reason that its hard to start is the battery is weak and wont turn it over fast enough unless you put it on the charger for a hour or so once its running it runs great and will mow anything

Yeah, the LB I had was 4-cycle....luckily!

turfboy1997

Threads
It's too bad you don't live closer because I would clean that carb and charge that battery and I guarantee lawn boy would blow the doors off any Honda hands down! In my opinion you are asking too much for a mower you have put no work into. The mower is aluminum and is a two cycle so it weighs nothing. Self propelled is really not that big of a deal with these older lawn boys! I bet it weighs 60 lbs with the bag full of grass. If its hard starting that is a simple fix. Good luck with the Honda! Just thought I'd mention that the mower in the picture is 30 years old! How many 30 year old Hondas do you see running as well as these lawn boys? Half the damage I have seen internally on lawn boys is lean mixture and i still can get them running near perfect! I know lawn boys aren't for everyone, but last I checked we are on the brand specific forum for lawn boy and I love mine!

Fireman 123

Threads
WELL PUT! Wouldn't have anything else. I'd say most of the problem lies in people not taking the time to learn about the machine, and how it works. I picked up an early 80's scamp the other day for $30. Self propelled model (don't see too many). Checked spark, exhaust ports, and cleaned the carb. It fired up on the very first pull. You can't kill a LB unless you just don't know how to use them.

turfboy1997

Threads
WELL PUT! Wouldn't have anything else. I'd say most of the problem lies in people not taking the time to learn about the machine, and how it works. I picked up an early 80's scamp the other day for $30. Self propelled model (don't see too many). Checked spark, exhaust ports, and cleaned the carb. It fired up on the very first pull. You can't kill a LB unless you just don't know how to use them.

I work at a golf course full time and do the Lawn Boys on the side. All of my equipment either has Kawasaki, Honda or Briggs on them. Let me tell you that in my opinion the Kawasaki 4 strokes are the closest you are going to get to the reliability and power of a Lawn Boy. All but Kawasaki are made in china (including Lawn Girl 2005-Present) these days and the quality of cut and reliability show. Those two factors combined fit our throw away society to a T. All i know is of the 25 Lawn Boy 2 cycles i have purchased this year only 2 have been scrapped for parts. I now officially have enough Lawn Boys to mow my yard with one the rest of my life! And I know how to take care of one so I will never have one fail! You have a pic of the scamp? I bet that thing is cool!