1976 Wheel Horse C-120 8-Speed

howielhs

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 1976 C-120 Wheel Horse that i restored in the Spring 2013.

Attachments

• IMG_3849.jpg
    IMG_3849.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 26

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now that is one fine looking tractor. That was when they made garden tractors to last.

howielhs

Forum Newbie
Threads
You are right about that. It is 37 years old and still going strong. I hauled some stones out of the woods today with it and the old bathtub dump cart.

DaveTN

Threads
I have a friend who has one of these 12 HP, Kohler Cast Iron Wheel Horse heavy mowers. They're tough and can do the job, but their RPM is low compared to these newer mowers. His will cut, but not sling the grass like the newer mowers will. I've worked on those old cast iron Kohler's some and they can be temperamental when the carbs give trouble. My friend has a 14 HP Kohler side shaft engine on a Ford version of that style mower. I think it's the LGT series and HEAVY as is his 16 HP series as well. If they ever quit on you in the yard you'd have to get another one to pull it in to the garage as you are NOT going to push it up any slight grade. I've got to take the counter balance gears out of the 14 HP as it is clanging like a mule kicking in a tin stall. That's a winter project.

Scagman01a

Threads
I have a friend who has one of these 12 HP, Kohler Cast Iron Wheel Horse heavy mowers. They're tough and can do the job, but their RPM is low compared to these newer mowers. His will cut, but not sling the grass like the newer mowers will. I've worked on those old cast iron Kohler's some and they can be temperamental when the carbs give trouble. My friend has a 14 HP Kohler side shaft engine on a Ford version of that style mower. I think it's the LGT series and HEAVY as is his 16 HP series as well. If they ever quit on you in the yard you'd have to get another one to pull it in to the garage as you are NOT going to push it up any slight grade. I've got to take the counter balance gears out of the 14 HP as it is clanging like a mule kicking in a tin stall. That's a winter project.

Dave,
Take from a guy that has rebuilt well over 100 k series kohler engines. Take the balance gears out and do not reinstall new ones. I have seen many that the small roller bearings went out and the gears flew apart. It's like throwing a grenade into a tank. The gears make little to no difference in vibration anyway.