1970's Snapper rear engine mower rebuild and mod log.

OldNoob

Threads
  • / 1970's Snapper rear engine mower rebuild and mod log.
Forget the clean & pack it full of grease & reassemble..
I thought about doing that but there was just too much metal in the grease
Looks like im going to need a new cover as well. this one looks like it would eat up any nylon washer i try to put in it.
52145625485_43a3374b6f_b.jpg

52145625490_a2b759f3dc_b.jpg

View attachment DSC03578.JPG
View attachment DSC03577b.JPG

I suppose... i could fabricate a piece or metal to lay down in there and then have it tack welded in place.

Last edited:

OldNoob

Threads
finishing up the rims and adding new tires while i wait for transmission parts
wheel before and after.jpg

OldNoob

Threads
Engine covers: Leave Black? or Paint white?

OldNoob

Threads
So there are a couple of things i need to weld up on the snapper before i proceed . One of the things needing welding is the gear selection lift yoke.
However i didn't have a welding cap to keep the spark and spatter out of my hair and ears, so i tried to make my own out of an old jean leg.
I know, its way to creepy looking
DSC03648.JPG.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would wet it down if it was me.

Did you stitch up the top? Freaking internet. Some brilliant people on here LOL.

OldNoob

Threads
I suck at welding but this should fix that worn out drive selector guide AKA lift Yoke.
DSC03676.JPG

Hank F

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you replace the front wheels all together or just replace the bearings? And either way, where were you able to find parts? I just got one for free cause the front wheels are completely missing the bearings and the old owner did not want to deal with trying to replace them.

OldNoob

Threads
Did you replace the front wheels all together or just replace the bearings? And either way, where were you able to find parts? I just got one for free cause the front wheels are completely missing the bearings and the old owner did not want to deal with trying to replace them.
I sanded down the wheel , painted them and put new sealed bearings and new tires and inter-tubes. all together it was as much as just replacing the whole wheel.
but i could not find a whole new wheel with the correct diameter and backspacing as the old one.

In this picture you can see that the sidewall of the old front tires they were dry rotted and split. The other side was actually worse. At this point i was just basically running on the tube and the whole wheel was on the verge of failing. The bearings were also completely worn out.
DSC03460old tire.JPG

I was able to find the original "Hi-Run" brand tire on the Walmart online website. but the tread depth is not as deep as the original
new front wheel.JPG

You can find replacement wheels online with the correct bearing. just measure the spindle diameter
These wheels are 10 inches tall .
so any 10x3.5 wheels that have the 3/4" inside diameter spindle hole with at least a 2" offset should work.
Most parts can be found on ether Walmart.com or Amazon.com or even ebay, it just takes a bit of research.
You can also find parts at https://www.rcpw.com/snapper-parts/
And you can find a part diagram for your model here.

Last edited: