1970's Snapper rear engine mower rebuild and mod log.

OldNoob

Threads
  • / 1970's Snapper rear engine mower rebuild and mod log.
What color red did u use? If I recall, Krylon cherry red was a close Snapper red.
How did you get the Snapper lettering done?
It's Rustolium Cherry red
I got the decals from this link. Although the comet letters are too big.

OldNoob

Threads
The clutch chain case is rebuilt and finished. I may add a couple of more bolts to the traction wheelDSC03568.JPG

OldNoob

Threads
Now entering the deep dark world of the differential case.
DSC03567.JPG

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gears look in good shape. Still have one sitting in my shop may restore her some day.

seattlepioneer

Threads
I always thought that Snapper mower got CHEATED at the academy awards when it didn't even get a "Best Supporting Actor" NOMINATION from the Forrest Gump movie.

How long will it be before another mower gets such a featured Hollywood movie role?

I suppose I should write a screen play. Anyone have an idea for such a movie?

OldNoob

Threads
6 problems found in the differential case.
The "half shaft" or outgoing shaft is work out the internal bushings are worn and the outside of the shaft is worn. this is going to be kinda expensive to replace.
The internal nylon thrust washer is worn out as well as the metal washers for the hexagonal shaft.
The o-rings and cupped belville washers are missing from the large sprocket shaft.
The smaller sprocket on the hexagonal shaft is loose ( this will be a expensive replacement unless i can figure out a way to repar this myself.)
The chain is worn out
The case has a chain groove wore into it due to the lack of washers, but not all the way through but very close to breaking through. (This will be very expensive if i have to replace it.)
DSC03570.JPG
DSC03571.JPG

OldNoob

Threads
Any ideas for a cleaning this grease off? i dont have a parts washer or a pressure washer. i was thinking maybe paint thinner? or something cheaper?
DSC03575.JPG

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dude, for tired old greasy oily gunk removal, Diesel and an old paint brush. Well now it's 5 bucks a gallon thanks to Brandon Biden. We can all thank the voters who voted for that puppet. Or that stolen election. Back on topic, best stuff to use and normally cheap.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you want it clean without YOU cleaning them, toss that case in your wife's dishwasher. Put on hot pot scrubber mode. Sucker will come out ready to eat off of. Every house in America has a darn good parts washer in the kitchen.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Forget the clean & pack it full of grease & reassemble..