1970's Snapper rear engine mower rebuild and mod log.

OldNoob

Threads
  • / 1970's Snapper rear engine mower rebuild and mod log.
Greetings from NC yall.
Ok so i finally pulled the trigger on buying one of those nice Snapper riding mowers.
Yep that's right , im now a proud owner of a 1977 Snapper Comet 3010ws
( yeah i know , its old)
I had in mind for a while of doing a restoration of one of these mowers so i could go Full On Forest Gump.
So i found this one for $100 everything was there and its running and mowing.
52081683801_04dba5a8d3_b.jpg

I've already mowed my yard with it :D
And ive ordered all the bearings and sleeves to start the rebuild with the front end.
Today however, i pulled the cover over the belt drive to inspect it. and that came off very easily.
It was packed with 45 years of debris and mouse nests and spiders so after cleaning it i decided to lube what i could until i could rebuild that section.
However when the time came to put the cover back on , i could not for the life of me, get it to go back in and on there. I must have struggled for 20 minutes trying to force the cover between the tube and the pulley.. and then it hit me.... i had raised the deck during the lubrication process. Once i lowered the deck the cover popped right back on with ease.
Now im here to tell you... i wasn't angry at myself for making such a simple mistake..
But it was more like i felt a deep sadness and mourning the loss of dearly beloved brain cells that i evidently lost during that 20 minutes time.

While it is running and mowing fine now , im sure its going to need sprockets and chains and friction wheel and bushings etc etc, but its going to be a project as well as a piece of functioning equipment.

More to come....

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Need some Turtle Wax on the deck.

1653090023336.png

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
yeah, I was looking for the lost plate while putting dinner out. it was in the microwave holding something cooking. I put it there 3 minutes before. Duh. One day at age 17, about 65 years ago or so I was looking for my sunglasses. Yeah, I was wearing them. It isn't just age that causes it. Can be routine too.

Lawn Addict
Threads
OldNoob- Welcome aboard.. !!

Nice mower, if ya get tired of it, let me know..

sheenist

Threads
Congrats on your purchase of a tough mower. They were not the coolest mower ever made, but good machines. I have had two in the past forty years and can attest to their strength. Although I now mow most of my yard (two acres) with an old Snapper Zero turn, i still keep my old Snapper RER for ditch banks and bagging chores. Good luck.
Sheenist

OldNoob

Threads
Progressing with the rebuild. Finished rebuilding the front end. New bearings and tires and steering bushings. Painted the frame. The comet decal is kind of big. Working on the chain case today
DSC03555.JPG

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Progressing with the rebuild. Finished rebuilding the front end. New bearings and tires and steering bushings. Painted the frame. The comet decal is kind of big. Working on the chain case today
View attachment 60949
I told you that Turtle Wax was some goooood stuff. Wow what a shine. o_O

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What color red did u use? If I recall, Krylon cherry red was a close Snapper red.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
How did you get the Snapper lettering done?