1970's Snapper rear engine mower rebuild and mod log.

Hank F

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 1970's Snapper rear engine mower rebuild and mod log.
I sanded down the wheel , painted them and put new sealed bearings and new tires and inter-tubes. all together it was as much as just replacing the whole wheel.
but i could not find a whole new wheel with the correct diameter and backspacing as the old one.

In this picture you can see that the sidewall of the old front tires they were dry rotted and split. The other side was actually worse. At this point i was just basically running on the tube and the whole wheel was on the verge of failing. The bearings were also completely worn out.
View attachment 61372

I was able to find the original "Hi-Run" brand tire on the Walmart online website. but the tread depth is not as deep as the original
View attachment 61373

You can find replacement wheels online with the correct bearing. just measure the spindle diameter
These wheels are 10 inches tall .
so any 10x3.5 wheels that have the 3/4" inside diameter spindle hole with at least a 2" offset should work.
Most parts can be found on ether Walmart.com or Amazon.com or even ebay, it just takes a bit of research.
You can also find parts at https://www.rcpw.com/snapper-parts/
And you can find a part diagram for your model here.
Thank you very much sir

ken2

Threads
  • / 1970's Snapper rear engine mower rebuild and mod log.
Nice mower. Don't find the side fuel tank much any more. I think that mower originally had the four bolt rear rims. With red plastic center caps. Last fall I threw a set of four bolt rims out to the iron pile.