17.5 briggs & stratton

jonwiley

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 17.5 briggs in order to get it to crank I have to hold the throttle at idle to get it to even crank when it cranks it runs great at idle but when given gas it starts to surge. I can bring it back to idle and it runs fine. I have put another carb on it I have soaked it in a five gallon bucket of carb cleaner for a least two hours sprayed it down with starting fluid and blow out with air compreser but still no change. I have adjusted values to specs and pulled motor down and checked the governor. I cant figure this one out can anybody help any ideas what could be the cause of my problems.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Before any one says anything crank means to start.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Before any one says anything crank means to start.

Ha ha...Glad your interpreting ... :wink:I have always thought start meant to run, and Crank was what you had to Do to an engine to Try to get it to start...
In days long past you had to actually use a 'crank' to turn the engine over, then they came up with the Electric Starter to make the act of cranking the engine Much easier:cool:... but at times it still would not start even though it did crank over....
Sometimes it would start but fail to run correctly...
in any case....

WELCOME to these forums jonwiley... After soaking the carb, did you clean out all the passages with compressed air, at times you may have to poke through with fine wire... :smile:KennyV

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
In my time the word "Crank" would be that one would put in a handle and crank it, and try and not to break your thumb in the process...! maybe am just getting too old:laughing:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
In my time the word "Crank" would be that one would put in a handle and crank it, and try and not to break your thumb in the process...! maybe am just getting too old:laughing:

Yep that is "crank" ... and with the right engine you could Break your arm, or at least really dislocate things... I am too old Most days. :smile:KennyV

dinows

Threads
I have a 17.5 briggs in order to get it to crank I have to hold the throttle at idle to get it to even crank when it cranks it runs great at idle but when given gas it starts to surge. I can bring it back to idle and it runs fine. I have put another carb on it I have soaked it in a five gallon bucket of carb cleaner for a least two hours sprayed it down with starting fluid and blow out with air compreser but still no change. I have adjusted values to specs and pulled motor down and checked the governor. I cant figure this one out can anybody help any ideas what could be the cause of my problems.

I hope you get some answers, just bought a new 17.5 and it acts exactly as yours

Deano nhpa@rcn.com