16HP Vanguard valve adjustment

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only other way to do it is with 2 individual kill wires wired through 2 relays with all of the safety switches acting as the triggers for the relays .
The kill wires pick up signals from the opposite coils so you either have diodes to clamp the ripples or keep the two wires separate till they are grounded to kill the sparks.
There are a few mowers that use relays already to activate the kill circuit .

Gumby83

Threads
Thanks - that’s what I wanted to know. The only thing I could think of was to use 2 kill wires with the other end attached to toggle switches that would be grounded when closed. If it were mine, I’d just do it, but I’d better just keep it as is.

Gumby83

Threads
Finally got a new kill wire with diodes installed today - also replaced the insulated connector that mounts in the timing cover. The engine started without any problems every time and also shut down when the ignition switch was turned off (previously had to choke it to kill it).

Because it’s been in the shop so long, I put a couple gallons of fresh gas and some seafoam in the tank, then took it outside and drove it around for about 10 minutes and let it idle for about 10 minutes after that. Initially it was spewing white smoke, but that faded after the first 5 minutes.

Then I shut it off while finishing up some other things - it was off for about a 1/2 hour - then it would start, but the white smoke was back and it wouldn’t stay running.

I didn’t have time to look at it after that as the day was over, so I’ll try to check a few things tomorrow.

Thanks again to everyone who’s helped me figure this out.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
how much seafoam was in the gas? i think it's 2oz per gallon.

Gumby83

Threads
how much seafoam was in the gas? i think it's 2oz per gallon.
White smoke = oil of some form
Too much snake oil ( seafoam if your like )
Wd 40 or similar
Over full sump
Take your pick

I only put 4 oz in it with about 2.5 gallons fresh gas. Call it snake oil if you like - I’m not saying it’s the greatest product on the shelf, but I’ve found it’s useful in certain situations. Considering this engine has been basically sitting for nearly 2 years (with the exception of the few times I was able to get it started), I expected at least some issues with gum/varnish buildup in the carburetor.

I know it’s not the sump being over full - I verified the oil level was correct before I drove it yesterday.

One thing I’d completely forgotten, is about a year ago, I started thinking it might be an AF mixture problem (partly because it would start with starting fluid), so I started adjusting the mixture screws on the carburetor, but I can’t honestly say I set them back to where they were at any point between then and now.

I started it this morning and let it idle for about 1/2 hour. Unlike yesterday the white smoke didn’t fade, but when I throttled it up to move it, there was a couple seconds of black smoke as well, so I think it would be wise to verify the mixture and adjustment screws on the carburetor are set correctly, then start looking at oil consumption.

Is there a quick way to test the PCV system? In automotive, it can be tested by checking vacuum at the oil dipstick tube, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that doesn’t apply to small engines.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is there a quick way to test the PCV system? In automotive, it can be tested by checking vacuum at the oil dipstick tube, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that doesn’t apply to small engines.

Pull the breather line off the air box
Stops smoking = faulty breather or excessive blow by or over full crankcase.
hold a piece of cling wrap loosly over the end of the tube
It should blow then go limp then blow.
You can feel it better if you put your tounge over the end of the tube or a damp finger if you have taste buds adverse to oil .

Born2Mow

Threads
Agreed. White smoke is burning of engine oil, not a "rich" fuel condition.
I don't think it's Seafoam or WD-40 used during assembly, it's definitely engine oil.

My list...
• Change the crankcase oil to the correct weight and grade
• Make sure engine oil is not over-filled
• Check the engine breather system
• STOP with the excessive idle time. 1/3 throttle OK, but not idle.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Agreed. White smoke is burning of engine oil, not a "rich" fuel condition.
I don't think it's Seafoam or WD-40 used during assembly, it's definitely engine oil.

FYI
When I post a reply I try to make it as general as possible to cover all bases for the OP and in particular for latter readers looking for answers to similar symptoms.
The OP can look at it & decide which is relevant and what can be dissregarded .
What I omitted was water but I hope most can tell the difference between white smoke & steam coming out the exhaust.

Gumby83

Threads
Pull the breather line off the air box
Stops smoking = faulty breather or excessive blow by or over full crankcase.
hold a piece of cling wrap loosly over the end of the tube
It should blow then go limp then blow.
You can feel it better if you put your tounge over the end of the tube or a damp finger if you have taste buds adverse to oil .

Thanks. I didn’t end up having time to testing it today, so I’ll check it ASAP. Maybe I can convince my coworker to put his tongue on the breather tube. :D