16.5 hp Briggs and Stratton I turn the ignition switch and flywheel only turns 1/4 of the way around and stops. If I keep turning the key eventually

eagle86801

Threads
  • / 16.5 hp Briggs and Stratton I turn the ignition switch and flywheel only turns 1/4 of the way around and stops. If I keep turning the key eventually
If its what you think it is it worth fixing or toss it out its got 675 hours on it ? thanks for you info and reply

Ocean909

Threads
  • / 16.5 hp Briggs and Stratton I turn the ignition switch and flywheel only turns 1/4 of the way around and stops. If I keep turning the key eventually
Would be easier for us if you posted the complete engine number
However if it is an overhead vale engine then the symptoms are classic no decompression .
90% of the time this is because the valve lash on the inlet valve has gotten so big it is defeating the tiny movement caused by the ACR on the other 10% it is because the ACR mechinims on the cam shaft has self destructed .
Saw that the OP had another post about this problem and had the engine number listed.
463707-2238E1-02020115A flathead

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks.
I missed it was a double post so shall refrain from adding more confusion.

eagle86801

Threads
Thanks.
Thanks.
That was my fault I didn't realize I was already a member to lawn mower forum and signed up again . Sorry for the confusion . I'm kind of desperate for help. All small engine repair shops in my area are straight out for at least 3 weeks and I have to cut my lawn every 4 days this time of year

Last edited:

moparjoe

Threads
16.5 hp Briggs and Stratton I turn the ignition switch and flywheel only turns 1/4 of the way around and stops. If I keep turning the key eventually it will start and run strong . 2022 a new battery, solenoid ,ignition switch its started normally from Oct 2022 until May 15 2023 now its acting up again . I ordered a new coil .
Your valves need to be adjusted.

mpqualdie

Forum Newbie
Threads
16.5 hp Briggs and Stratton I turn the ignition switch and flywheel only turns 1/4 of the way around and stops. If I keep turning the key eventually it will start and run strong . 2022 a new battery, solenoid ,ignition switch its started normally from Oct 2022 until May 15 2023 now its acting up again . I ordered a new coil .
Broken camshaft most likely. A very common issue with the B&S engines. Little nub that cracks open the intake valve breaks off and the starter can't pull the motor past the compression stroke. Easy fix if your mechanically inclined. A lot of people buy batteries, cables, solenoids and etc., but the issue is the cam not opening the valve most likely. I Also have seen where people just wind the motor backwards by hand to give to starter a running start. While that may work keep in mind the shrapnel from the broken cam is in that motor and can damage it.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Being a opposed twin and no compression release used on that engine. Also the valves on those engines will close up to the point they will float the valves not open and cause compression release issues. And the opposed twins having issues with the starters being too weak for that size engine I would be leaning toward a starter issue.

kjonxx

Threads
Valves are not set right

LMPPLUS

Threads
If it's a single cylinder B&S reset the valves and try it if it still doesn't turn over good it could be a broken decompression spring on the camshaft and would need to be replaced. Good luck/

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
I would bet $1111111111 this is the answer to your problem. Adjust the valves. You can get the manual for your engine.