Engine 14.5HP B&S engine just quit all of sudden and now no compressiion

nuttybuddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 14.5HP B&S engine just quit all of sudden and now no compressiion
Hey Guys: I am new to this forum and have a question. I have an old Yard Machine mower with
a 14.5HP OHV engine and though it is old I was mowing the other day and just all of a sudden it
quit and now it has no compression and of course it won't crank. Most likely is this a blown head
gasket or a broken valve spring? There was no unusual noise before this mishap. There was no
missing in the motor or any smoke. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks beforehand!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Simple check, remove the plug and insert a rod or screwdriver into the hole. Slowly turn the engine by hand and see if the rob gets pushed up. No movement means broken connecting rod. Movement, with your symptoms would indicate a problem in the valve train, most likely a valve seat popped out.

nuttybuddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Simple check, remove the plug and insert a rod or screwdriver into the hole. Slowly turn the engine by hand and see if the rob gets pushed up. No movement means broken connecting rod. Movement, with your symptoms would indicate a problem in the valve train, most likely a valve seat popped out.

Mr. Rivents: Thanks for your response--I will do what you said as soon as it quits raining here in
the Bayou State--then I will submit a reply in case it would help someone else. Again thanks a
million for your help!

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
I was thinking the same thing, a thrown connecting rod. Now is your 14.5 horse a Vanguard? They are known, along with all 11 HP Briggs, to throw rods, and throw balancers out of the block.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was thinking the same thing, a thrown connecting rod. Now is your 14.5 horse a Vanguard? They are known, along with all 11 HP Briggs, to throw rods, and throw balancers out of the block.

Bull!!!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am thinking FISH is the only one here that will be able to help you.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads

May have not happened to you, but has happened to others. It has happened to me many times and it has happened to lots of my friends many times.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Carscw, you may be right, as Mr. Fish has so much experience giving customers and forum members short, concise and immediate answers to their questions.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
May have not happened to you, but has happened to others. It has happened to me many times and it has happened to lots of my friends many times.

Naw, I just said "bull" to your post..... These other 2, well Rivets gave good advice, but that guy will likely not be back.....