07 Dixie losses power

RUNRON

Forum Newbie
Threads
Recently purchased a used Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle 50" possibly 2009 model. It claims it has 380 hours of usage, but it may not be accurate as that display was loose as if someone had disconnected it from the machine for God knows how long! (Hehehe). My problem is the zero turn doesn't go as fast it should - perhaps it tops 3-4mph when cutting grass and 5 mph when not cutting grass! :) As a result, I proactively did a light tune-up, since I knew nothing about its past maintenance/history:

1) Changed engine oil & oil filter. Put new 10w-40 synthetic.
2) Replaced the entire carburetor unit.
3) Replaced fuel filter and fuel pump.
4) Replaced 2 spark plugs and coils.
5) Changed hydraulic oil. Put new 20w50 synthetic. Also changed 2 new hydraulic filters. Old oil didn't look too bad at all which was surprising. I did ask the seller if he had ever changed it, he said, "no.. that's usually left alone.. it's a sealed system". I was surprised to hear him say that - since he claimed he performed maintenance on vehicles/tractors in his spare time!

The motor sounds good. The fuel system sounds rich.... put new (ethanol-free) fuel in both gas tanks. So I think the problem is not in the Kohler engine.

Potential issue #1: All the three belts look fine. Zero turn has a Deck Belt, Engine-Pump Belt and an Engine-Deck Belt. They also feel tight with the exception of perhaps one of them (the Engine-Deck Belt). I'm able to push it for almost an inch when pressing it with my fingers. Does anyone know how to best check the tightness of those belts? I suspect that maybe one of those belts is slipping a bit, but I'm not quite sure how tight they ought to be for optimal usage.

Potential issue #2: I also suspect the clutch. Is there a way to rule out a failing clutch? The machine is quite responsive, but it simply goes very slow!

Potential issue #3: Bleeding of the hydraulic fluid? Do you think having an air bubble is making it go that slow at all times? I recall bleeding it after changing the fluid, but I may not have done it for as long as I should have?

Potential issue #4: hydraulic motors? Although the machine doesn't motion forward any faster when pushing the right or the left handle. It's equally slow! Also I don't hear any grinding or crazy noises when moving forward from the hydraulic motors. I don't sense any slippage whether I'm moving forward or backwards. It's simply slow!!

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions/similar experience you might have! Thank you!

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you checked the levers travel. There are stop bolts that limit the travel of the levers so you can set the tracking. The bolts are on a bracket behind the pivot point of the levers. The heads of the bolts stop the levers and have a jam nut on the back side of the bracket. Back the bolts off so they don't touch, then turn them back in until they just stop the levers before they stop on there own. They don't need to bottom out in the pumps. Then set the tracking from there. If you are going say to the left slow down the right side by turning the bolt in to limit the travel. going to the right slow down the left side. Have you checked the engine rpm's. Those engines set at 3750 top no load speed.

Last edited:

RUNRON

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you checked the levers travel. There are stop bolts that limit the travel of the levers so you can set the tracking. The bolts are on a bracket behind the pivot point of the levers. The heads of the bolts stop the levers and have a jam nut on the back side of the bracket. Back the bolts off so they don't touch, then turn them back in until they just stop the levers before they stop on there own. They don't need to bottom out in the pumps. Then set the tracking from there. If you are going say to the left slow down the right side by turning the bolt in to limit the travel. going to the right slow down the left side. Have you checked the engine rpm's. Those engines set at 3750 top no load speed.
Thx! I'll look into that! I'll let you know if it improves!