ZTR Light Kit

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here are the details of the light kit I installed on my Gravely from Advance AP(a halogen kit):
Ended up costing me a total of $36.72 plus tax and some misc materials for wire routing & securing(nylon wire clamps & screws and nylon cable ties). I'll post pictures of the light kit and rocker switch below and here are the details of the materials, including the installation materials:
1)Blazer "Baja Tough" Driving Light Kit(55watt Halogen) Part#DF1088B-$19.99 which includes the necessary wiring and hardware for installation.
2)AutoCraft 30amp Rocker Switch(Red LED) Part#84840-$8.49
Both of the above purchased at Advance Auto Parts
3)Scotch(3M) Outdoor Mounting Tape(Two-sided adhesive tape holds up to 5lbs)-$4.27
4)Liquid Nails Adhesive(Home Projects For Extreme Temperature And Conditions) Part#LN-201-$3.97
Both of the above purchased at WalMart. The light kit came with mounting screws, but the best place to mount these lights was on the front of the gas tanks on each side just above the rear tires. Even though the plastic gas tanks are pretty thick I didn't want to take any chances. I cut the Scotch Adhesive tape to fit the inside of the light bracket(two pieces and two layers) and applied a small amount of the Liquid Nails on the light bracket, mounted the first two tape pieces to the bracket, applied a small amount of the Liquid Nail to that and applied the second set of pieces to the first pieces. Then I applied a small amount of Liquid Nail to the second layer of tape and pressed/mounted to the mower. I know this may sound a little strange....but it looks GREAT and it would take a crowbar to get those lights off my Gravely!!!!! I will post pics below of the light kit & rocker switch(drilled a hole in the plate where alll of the controls are at for the mower and it mounted easily).
Once I have a chance, I will take some pictures of the Gravely with the lights mounted and post them. I think you'll agree it looks like a professional installation!!

Attachments

• DSC03290.jpg
    DSC03290.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 322
  • DSC03289.jpg
    DSC03289.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 296
  • gravely light kit 1.jpg
    gravely light kit 1.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 499
  • gravely light kit 2.jpg
    gravely light kit 2.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 407
  • gravely light kit 3.jpg
    gravely light kit 3.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 404
Last edited by a moderator:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
P.S.
I have made one minor modification to this since installation. I took some clear silicone adhesive/caulking and went around the mounting brackets where I attached them to the gas tanks to kind of seal them to keep dirt/moisture from compromising the mounting tape I used to adhere the light brackets to the plastic gas tank and made sure it had set for at least 24 hours before using the mower again. I am still very pleased with these lights for what I paid. Haven't really had an opportunity to "mow with them", but have been up until dark cleaning the Gravely after mowing and used them to drive it around my house to the garage to store it. Actually, I've got 23.5 hours of mowing on my 2012 Gravely and about 50 hours of cleaning it afterward:0) The light kit lights up the area in front of and on the sides of the mower & deck as well as an automobile's lights do for driving.

chobbs1957

Threads
Great idea!

I have been mowing my yard a lot the last three years in the dark. Having lights gives you the option of mowing when convenient! I like to start about 5 a.m. so that I can be finished in time to have breakfast with my family when they get up. Then I can work all day and know the yard will look good when I get home.

Threads
Great idea!

I have been mowing my yard a lot the last three years in the dark. Having lights gives you the option of mowing when convenient! I like to start about 5 a.m. so that I can be finished in time to have breakfast with my family when they get up. Then I can work all day and know the yard will look good when I get home.

I have a light for my Honda, but I am hesitant to use it at night in the summer because whenever it is dark it's either 9:00 at night or 5:00 in the morning, and I don't think people would be happy with me mowing then. In the fall, though, it gets dark earlier, so I could mow in the dark and it would only be 7:00pm.

chobbs1957

Threads
I have a light for my Honda, but I am hesitant to use it at night in the summer because whenever it is dark it's either 9:00 at night or 5:00 in the morning, and I don't think people would be happy with me mowing then. In the fall, though, it gets dark earlier, so I could mow in the dark and it would only be 7:00pm.

:laughing: Yeah, that could very well be! I was here FIRST, along with my cultural practices and habits!:eek:

Besides, if they work hard all day and live their lives with a clear conscience, they should be able to sleep through it if you ask me! :thumbsup:

[as a matter of fact, when asked, my neighbors have said they don't hear me, and if they did, they didn't mind] :smile:

ncredleg

Threads
Have you cut with that light set yet? If so, are there any issues with the shadow cast by the machine in the front? TIA. Russ

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you cut with that light set yet? If so, are there any issues with the shadow cast by the machine in the front? TIA. Russ

If you are refering to me(the OP of this thread), yes I have mowed with it after dark several times now. Most of the shadow in those original pictures are from the discharge chute that mounts upright on the top of the deck on the right side as a "storage" for it. When it is not in the storage position those lights give plenty of vision on both sides of the deck and minimal shadow at the front(maybe 6-8") I still see what is coming up directly if front of the mower fine(at least 20-30 feet out).

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

I digress regarding my last remark in response to your question. You were referring to the shadow directly in front of the machine caused by the foot-rest(with the Gravely name engraved on it). Yes, it casts about a 6-8 foot shadow but your vision over the foot-rest from where you are sitting in the seat only "sees" about half that shadow(maybe a 4 foot shadow ot in front of you). There is enough light in front and around that small shadowed area(2-25 feet out) that it really doesn't impair your ability to see the terrain as you approach it. I thought about mounting the lights on the ROPS, but with my sunshade they would have been mounted on the underside of the top of the ROPS or on the sides of the ROPS. Both of those options had their own set of wiring and vision(aiming) downsides and I opted for the gas tank mount. It's the best overall night vision solution for my particular ZTR and I'm quite happy with it.

Bennyj

Threads
Here are the details of the light kit I installed on my Gravely from Advance AP(a halogen kit):
Ended up costing me a total of $36.72 plus tax and some misc materials for wire routing & securing(nylon wire clamps & screws and nylon cable ties). I'll post pictures of the light kit and rocker switch below and here are the details of the materials, including the installation materials:
1)Blazer "Baja Tough" Driving Light Kit(55watt Halogen) Part#DF1088B-$19.99 which includes the necessary wiring and hardware for installation.
2)AutoCraft 30amp Rocker Switch(Red LED) Part#84840-$8.49
Both of the above purchased at Advance Auto Parts
3)Scotch(3M) Outdoor Mounting Tape(Two-sided adhesive tape holds up to 5lbs)-$4.27
4)Liquid Nails Adhesive(Home Projects For Extreme Temperature And Conditions) Part#LN-201-$3.97
Both of the above purchased at WalMart. The light kit came with mounting screws, but the best place to mount these lights was on the front of the gas tanks on each side just above the rear tires. Even though the plastic gas tanks are pretty thick I didn't want to take any chances. I cut the Scotch Adhesive tape to fit the inside of the light bracket(two pieces and two layers) and applied a small amount of the Liquid Nails on the light bracket, mounted the first two tape pieces to the bracket, applied a small amount of the Liquid Nail to that and applied the second set of pieces to the first pieces. Then I applied a small amount of Liquid Nail to the second layer of tape and pressed/mounted to the mower. I know this may sound a little strange....but it looks GREAT and it would take a crowbar to get those lights off my Gravely!!!!! I will post pics below of the light kit & rocker switch(drilled a hole in the plate where alll of the controls are at for the mower and it mounted easily).
Once I have a chance, I will take some pictures of the Gravely with the lights mounted and post them. I think you'll agree it looks like a professional installation!!

Thanks for the info, very informative, think I will do that to mine, sometimes I run into dark cutting, lights are really helpful to me.