ZT2348XL drum brake removal - castle nut won't loosen?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / ZT2348XL drum brake removal - castle nut won't loosen?
And now we appear to be basically done. Just a final leak check while under load is needed. Took the motor off again tonight and once more opened up the back end and gearset. The instructions for setting the timing are incredibly simplistic to the point of not making sense. You get about two sentences, while staring at a bunch of symmetrical parts. So why this matters I'm not really sure ... except that it does.

The directions are non-sensical "unless" the end cap bolt hole locations that the gearset rim must line up with are factored into whatever position the gearset might be in regardless of where it's located within its rim. Stay within that and the gearset will always turn in the expected direction based on which port is receive fluid pressure.

But that's a total guess. It now turns in the proper direction, because of luck if you ask me.
The basic idea is to not turn the mating housings 180 degrees which reverses the direction. Most people that work on them mark the housing with a paint pen or other means to keep on track of the positioning.

deckeda

Threads
The basic idea is to not turn the mating housings 180 degrees which reverses the direction. Most people that work on them mark the housing with a paint pen or other means to keep on track of the positioning.
That may explain why it worked the second time, given the 50/50 chance you'd get it right if 180 degrees is the worry.

I still don't understand much of this, given that all the parts appear to be symmetrical. Splines, shafts, gearset, all of it appears mostly non critical in that regard.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That may explain why it worked the second time, given the 50/50 chance you'd get it right if 180 degrees is the worry.

I still don't understand much of this, given that all the parts appear to be symmetrical. Splines, shafts, gearset, all of it appears mostly non critical in that regard.
The splines, shafts and gear set are symmetrical but the housing that the gearset runs in is off center which what makes it directional.