ZRT on Tilt Trailer without a ramp?

smithmiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Tractor Supply 5x8 light weight trailer with a high tailgate that is a ramp and I haul tractors all over with it with no problem. I've used it for the last 15 years and love it. It has the mesh type floor so I just put a 4x8 piece of 3/8 plywood in it and it works fine. Also had 2 pieces of angle iron welded from the tounge on a angle to the cross brace under the bed to give it more strength for hauling heavier mower etc. You can still move it around by hand if need be. Best investment for only about $800.00. I used to pull it with a 98 Saturn after I sold my pick up. Now use a Toyota Highlander.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have a 6 1/2 by 10 foot tilt trailer and have no problems with it. Bought if for $650.00. Only Issue I have it is hard to get two mowers on it. Could use some short ramps for that. I hate the trailers with metal mesh floor and ramps as they sag over time and the welds break. Just my 2 cents worth.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Have a 6 1/2 by 10 foot tilt trailer and have no problems with it. Bought if for $650.00. Only Issue I have it is hard to get two mowers on it. Could use some short ramps for that. I hate the trailers with metal mesh floor and ramps as they sag over time and the welds break. Just my 2 cents worth.
Tilt trailers are not good for loading equipment. Also, because the wheels are set so the trailer can tilt, they don’t pull as well as a regular trailer. I am not a tilt trailer fan. Get some decent ramps and load stuff safely and efficiently.

smithmiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes your right, the mesh sure does sag between the cross beams but that's why I put the 3/8 plywood in it so the weight is spread out evenly over the cross beams. I don't think I would try to put a skid of bricks on it though. lol. It's just a good light duty trailer,and I've got my moneys worth out of it for sure. I just keep it painted and check for cracks every now and then just to be safe.

tgzzzz

Threads
I ended up buying a 5x8 from Tractor Supply after much research. Turns out Carry On has had some serious paint issues that several reviewers mentioned along with the saggy mesh deck. I drove out to Lowe's to check and the standard 5x8s were already rusted in the lot and the taller tailgates were laughingly flimsy. All had mesh decks. $1200.

Carry On also offers 5x8 "Next Gen" trailers with a nice powder coat finish, wood deck, and a shorter tailgate that seemed strong enough for my 500# Cub Cadet, and was no problem lifting. (I'm 81.) Turns out local TS had just received two of them with 12" wheels and the shorter gate. This model also has a lift handle on tongue and wiring is enclosed in plastic split loom and hard plastic tubes. Nice touches. $999.

Used ones, generally with no title, are asking 7-800 so a no brainer. Other good news: Spring has sprung here in coastal NC. Enough birds for a Hitchcock movie and lots of greening grass.

sivasilvan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tilt trailers can be handy, but loading without a ramp might be a bit tricky. I've loaded my ZRT onto a tilt trailer before. The 42" width should fit, but it depends on the trailer's angle when tilted. Take it slow and steady; if possible, get a spotter to guide you. Balancing is key – make sure the trailer isn't too tilted so you avoid drama. It might take a few tries, but once you nail it, you'll feel like a pro. Use trailers fro https://www.truckexporter.co.uk/; they're reliable. Good luck!

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
ZTR's can be a PIA to get onto trailers because they are a lot lower than a tractor style mower
My trailer is mesh floored, it was custom made for a 2000 series Cub
It is over 20 years old and the floor is perfect , including having the mesh welded in the right way to stop stuff sliding forward .
It was used for the Cub then modified slightly to take a Great Dane Chariot & I got it as a contra deal with a commercial customer when he got his new trailers made to take the Walkers and a lock up at the front for hand helds and push mowers that get "borrowed" by passers by when he is out of sight .
If you are going to use the tailgate as a ramp you will have to get a third hinge welded on if you want it to last more than 1 year
Off the shelf trailers usually create more problems than they are worth as they are built to be as light as possible ( which is why the floors bend )
I can not count the number of times I have been asked to repair one for my commercial customers , they are just not made to be used every day.

As for finish forget any type of paint pay the extra for Galvanizing
Having mowers driven in and out 20 times a day will scratch through the paint , water will get under it and start rusting
Also have a close look at the tailgate floor joint
If the hinge end of the tailgate sits higher than the floor then the deck will catch on it when driving off damaging both the deck & the tailgate .
IF a tiny market in the white pimple on the brown bum of the planet can have 12 different manufacturers of custom built mowing contractors trailers then surely the bastion of the free market would have over 1000 .
You have to treat trailers as what they are, a TOOL that you use to earn a living with .
You would not last long trying to use Walmart mowers to do your mowing so why use a Walmart trailer.
IT is going to MAKE you money so the more you pay for it the better and remember it is a tax deduction and for a business it should be sales tax free ( or at least reduced rate) so go for quality , durability & ease of use, even if that means taking your old trailer to the shop / factory complete wih mowers & gear then hooking up the new one and doing a "test load "
If the shop will not allow this then that speaks volumes for the quality of what they are trying to sell you .

Forest#2

Threads
I have two single axle lawn tractor trailers 10 ft long x 60 inches wide, one is tilt and the other has the drop tail gate.
I installed/welded Boat winches on both to load non-running tractors/mowers.
The tilt trailer is nice but you have to understand their limitations. (or you may get a surprise when you start to use such and find that you cannot load the eq and also the safety factor of the bed lowering and raising fast.)
If I'm going to load more than one lawn tractor I have to use a 2nd jack that I weld mounted to hold the bed from tilting down, strap the first one loaded at the front and may have to use the winch to load the second one.
Also if the mower tires are wet and the bed tilted to much of an angle I have to look for a low spot to load a running tractor if the tires spin or use the winch.
When going after non-running tractors I sometimes just throw a set of aluminum Folding ramps on the tilt bed trailer and use the winch.

If I'm using my expanded metal drop tailgate LAWN TRACTOR trailer I just hook up and go but I have weight limits on the drop tailgate gate.
If I need to load heavy type small tractor such as a Case 448 I have to use ramps over the drop tailgate or better yet just use my heavy eq 16 tandem axle trailer.
I also have to keep a heads up and caution by standers (or people that want to help/watch about the tilt bed dropping fast or raising up fast.