ZG222 running hot and sparks at exhaust manifold

leeton31

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have just partly re-built my ZG222 engine after a broken con-rod, I have re-assembled everything, checked and adjust valve gaps, engine would not start, however I then found sheared off woodruff key
on flywheel, which I have replaced. Engine starts and runs but gets hot, I need to replace exhaust manifold gaskets as they are leaking, but I noticed sparks at manifold also.
I assume timing is not adjustable due to flywheel locking in position with woodruff key. If flywheel gaps are incorrect could this cause my problem, or valve gaps?
Any clues?

geelee

Threads
did you torque the flywheel? may have sheared again. on a kohler command its 52 ft lb

leeton31

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I did torque the flywheel, I may have to pull motor out again and check flywheel.

geelee

Threads
can use timing light to check it, no teardown

leeton31

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure if I can use a timing light on that.

geelee

Threads
pull the easiest plug, stick a phillips screw driver in, turn by HAND until screwdriver is farthest out. take a white paint pen and mark screen and housing at same spot anywhere. install plug and timing light. run at idle. line on screen should be slightly behind housing mark with timing advance system, with fixed ign about 28 degree before. if line on screen is past housing line [ clockwise] your key is sheared

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Engine starts and runs but gets hot
Pull the top metal engine cover off. Post pictures of your block and cooling fins here. Take shots ALL THE WAY around the block please.

leeton31

Forum Newbie
Threads
I pulled the motor out again checked all cooling fins, all good, decided to check woodruff key on flywheel, it appears it may have moved out of slot when I put
flywheel on last time, I am guessing it fell into flywheel and stuck to bottom of magnet, that is the theory. I marked the flywheel before taking off and upon refitting
with woodruff key in place, it appeared to be slightly different position, hence timing out and overheating. Anyhow I have the mower running, just a bit hesitant to give
it a serious workout yet, just want to check operating temperatures first.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
No mention of clean cooling fins.

leeton31

Forum Newbie
Threads
G'day Slomo, yep I checked the coolings fins as I stated, all good. Thanks for your input.