Zero turn weight

skkipp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, So I am looking for opinions from users out there as the the weight of a zero turn mower. I am looking at anything from 750 pounds on up to 1300+ pounds. I have heard the lighter the better for traction/working on slopes and I have heard the heavier the better. For those of you with experience what is really the truth. I have some slopes that I will be going up and down on and also across and I want to make sure I make the right choice for traction purposes. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!

scott47429

Threads
well if your going up and down either one will work fine for you although the heaver one will have better traction also if your going side to side then you want the heaver one the light one will slide on you more the the heaver one i went from a 750 pound husqvarna that wouldn't hold on a hill to save its life i put on some tractor ties and helped out alot but tore up the years if you turned to fast so i went with the 1600 pound exmark with turf ties and have no problems with hills at all up and down or across

173abn

Threads
I've got a 928D Grasshopper ,the tractor weighs 980lbs,the deck weighs [guessing] 450lbs.I've only been stuck once and that was in mud when I was a novice.I can mow my ditch sideways w/no pucker factor and am able to go up and down hills with no decrease in traction...russ

skkipp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to both of you for the replys as you both have good advise from experience and I appreciate it alot. One of the ones I was looking at was the 750 pound or so husqvarna mz series which was the lower end of where I wanted to be price wise but based on your repsonses I will look more into the 1100 pounders and up.

Mtn.Mike

Threads
I've run a Cub Cadet M72 Tank for the last 4 years. It's been a great mower but I wouldn't recommend running it up and down the hill. It probably weighs more than 1300 lbs and it's almost impossible to control going down hills.
I always mow side to side and have never felt unsafe with this mower. It comes with the Kawasaki 37 hp engine and has all the power you would ever need.

Mike :thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
My ZTR weighs a bit over 2000 pounds, but it has a cab and a 4 cylinder Kubota diesel engine... it will go about anywhere you direct it...
If you have the opertunity to try the various machine's you are considering, it could help you to find the perfect mower....

...heavy WITH a roll bar & seat belts.... :smile:KennyV

scott47429

Threads
mine is 1600 pounds with turf tires and i have never had a problem going down hills or anywhere with it you could also look for a used one i mean i got my exmark thats a full commercial mower with a 72 inch deck and 31 horse dihatsu engine i got it for 3500 with only 500 hours on it

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Scott is right... don't overlook the great value in Used equipment...
You can buy a Lot of machine if you have the time to watch for good equipment... :smile:KennyV

skkipp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks again for everyone taking the time to reposnd and for all the great advise. I would love to buy something used, but this time of year is not the best time for a good deal. It seems for not much more money I can get something new.

Threads
If you are going on nearly FLAT places, the lighter the better because there will be less turf impact.