Zero Turn Mower Buying

bkeller500

Threads
The rattle is likely metal rubbing metal or a belt that may not be tracking properly due to assembly issues. It will probably not be a serious issue but it could be the beginning of something that will become a bigger problem later. If the dealer is aware of the problem, he should be able to point to the problem so you know exactly what it is and you can decide if you are willing to live with that issue. Metal on metal will become a wear issue. Will that become a replacement part issue or a welding issue? A belt not tracking properly will never heal itself. Higher RPM's may disguise the situation but it won't fix it. If it is a known problem then what are the plans from the factory to fix it? If there are no plans to fix it, your stuck with it. Nothing worse than owning a lawn mower that you compromised with and have regrets down the road. If you are going to spend that much money you deserve a properly manufactured machine. Even with a discounted price, you have to deal with it every week that you own it. It's kind of like buying a used car and finding out later it has mechanical issues. You will beat yourself up over and over. Be patient, You may be better off to continue to use a mowing service awhile longer until you find exactly what you want.

ztmowerhelp

Threads
If the deck is not rattling with the blades engaged and wide open throttle, I wouldn’t be too concerned. With any mower you look at, make sure the engine sounds right at all engine speeds. Personally, I think that a 52” mower is a little large. A 42” to 48” deck would probably be all that you need.
Do the math. How much will it cost for a lawn care company to do your lawn once a week during the mowing season. Weigh the cost of a new mower vs. the cost of a lawn care company.
That's what's kind of getting me at this point. There isn't much grass right now as it's mostly weeds, so cutting it every two weeks has been fine. With the weeds, I'm looking at around $800 for the season and a $500 fall cleanup. I planned on doing a lawn reno in the fall (which is one reason I wanted the mower), and assuming that I do, I would project around $1500/year with a $500 fall clean up for weekly mowing. At this rate, I am looking at a break even point of 4-5 years.

The other physical limitation is my size. I'm 6'6 and don't fit on half of the "smaller" mowers. The Toro Timecutter for example (dealer near me has a 42") hits my knees when I drive forward. Tractors have the opposite problem, where my knees are up near my face and the steering wheel is down too far. Don't really want a walk/ride behind either.

Not trying to overcomplicate this, but truly at a loss at this point.

ztmowerhelp

Threads
The rattle is likely metal rubbing metal or a belt that may not be tracking properly due to assembly issues. It will probably not be a serious issue but it could be the beginning of something that will become a bigger problem later. If the dealer is aware of the problem, he should be able to point to the problem so you know exactly what it is and you can decide if you are willing to live with that issue. Metal on metal will become a wear issue. Will that become a replacement part issue or a welding issue? A belt not tracking properly will never heal itself. Higher RPM's may disguise the situation but it won't fix it. If it is a known problem then what are the plans from the factory to fix it? If there are no plans to fix it, your stuck with it. Nothing worse than owning a lawn mower that you compromised with and have regrets down the road. If you are going to spend that much money you deserve a properly manufactured machine. Even with a discounted price, you have to deal with it every week that you own it. It's kind of like buying a used car and finding out later it has mechanical issues. You will beat yourself up over and over. Be patient, You may be better off to continue to use a mowing service awhile longer until you find exactly what you want.
I appreciate the info. I am not against waiting until next year, but the dealers near me have been extremely blunt that I could face the same issue with inventory next year. Supposedly they all ordered mowers in early 2021 and almost all of them were pushed to 2023. It also doesn't help that all the dealers "close" to me sell Gravely/Ariens almost exclusively.

bkeller500

Threads
Is there a Simplicity or Ferris dealer near you?

ztmowerhelp

Threads
Is there a Simplicity or Ferris dealer near you?
There is one dealer that sells both of those near me. I called last week and believe they said they only had commercial mowers in stock, but I will give them a call tomorrow.

bkeller500

Threads
I have the 2021 Simplicity Courier XT model, which is a clone of the Ferris 800. Excellent unit. Worthy of a look. Another thought you could search the internet and have one shipped to you for a couple hundred.

CC1988

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys,

I have in my possession in the UK an 'Everride Scorpion ESKH2352S'.

This mower was a Groundcare project with JCB hence the JCB colours etc The Groundcare division at JCB did not take off. The mower has done only a handful of hours.

I would be really interested in your thought and the best avenue to sell it?

Chris

Attachments

• JCB - Serial number.jpg
    JCB - Serial number.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 4
  • JCB - ZT Deck.jpg
    JCB - ZT Deck.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 3
  • JCB - ZT Rear.jpg
    JCB - ZT Rear.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 3
  • JCB - ZT Side.jpg
    JCB - ZT Side.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 4

jeremyschroder

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's what's kind of getting me at this point. There isn't much grass right now as it's mostly weeds, so cutting it every two weeks has been fine. With the weeds, I'm looking at around $800 for the season and a $500 fall cleanup. I planned on doing a lawn reno in the fall (which is one reason I wanted the mower), and assuming that I do, I would project around $1500/year with a $500 fall clean up for weekly mowing. At this rate, I am looking at a break even point of 4-5 years.

The other physical limitation is my size. I'm 6'6 and don't fit on half of the "smaller" mowers. The Toro Timecutter for example (dealer near me has a 42") hits my knees when I drive forward. Tractors have the opposite problem, where my knees are up near my face and the steering wheel is down too far. Don't really want a walk/ride behind either.

Not trying to overcomplicate this, but truly at a loss at this point.
I currenlty have a Toro Timemaster but have been considering a Toro Timecutter to help lessen the misery of caring for a new neighborhood lawns in the Florida summers. I'm 6'4" and am concerned about your comment that the Timecutter is on the smaller side. Do you think it wold be a problem for someone my height as well?