Zero Turn Mower Buying

ztmowerhelp

Threads
Hi everyone,

New home owner and I'm having an impossible time finding a ZT mower in my area, and the few options available from dealers are all prosumer/commercial grade (Gravely/Scag higher end: 6-9k). The used inventory near me is incredibly minimal, and the "best" option right now is Home Depot/Lowes/Tractor Supply which most people say to avoid.

To make matters worse, the dealers near me cannot guarantee stock for next season, so I can be in the same predicament that I'm in now, next year (paying a landscaper and burning money I could have put towards a mower).

Some dealers are being honest and saying the options they are suggesting are overkill for ~1 acre, while others are suggesting that paying less for an entry level ZT isn't worth it due to the corners they cut and things like non-serviceable transmissions.

My head says there's no way I should ever pay 6k for a ZT mower for 1-acre, but at the same time, "saving" the ~1k I will pay a landscaper for the rest of the season makes it 5k, and who knows about next season.

I'd be interested in what you think and appreciate any input you can provide!

Thanks!

fixit1ddh

Threads
Well I mow 5 to 7 acres on the farm with 2 of the as they call it non serviceable transmissions. (Hydros) I know people that have over 1000 hours on them non serviceable HYDRO GEAR EZT 2200 transmissions. It all depends on how there treated. My 2015 has just under 600 hour's and my Wifes 2017 just under 300 hour's. They both seem to work fine. Hydros do not like water or heat. Keep both away from them and they will last a long time. And if You have any mechanical abilities. The EZT 2200 HYDROS are kind of fun to work on. That Hydro is the least I would go with as it has 1 inch axles. I bought the 2015 new from tsc. Not one thing has ever had to be replaced or has broken. The 2017 bought it at dealer. Same exact machine as the 2015 from tsc. The 2015 is a better built and weighs 20 pounds more. So when anyone says the dealer machines are different and built better there full of you know what!

fixit1ddh

Threads
Also both machines are 54 inch manufactured decks. And is sad compared to what the price of zero turns today. These were 2850 each. Both machines total price was 5700.00 that's mowing atleast 100 inches a pass. Pretty cheap.

bkeller500

Threads
The big box store ZT's are not as horrible as some posts claim, if you use them as intended. For 1-acre mowing you are going to be using it for 1-1.5 hrs each mow. I you do what maintenance is recommended they will perform for you for quite awhile. I would avoid the new battery powered units ....just not sure they will hold up with all that plastic. The units with the bigger tires will get better traction. Check the decks to see how they are hung and if they are easily able to be adjusted for level. will they perform as well as the Pro models...no!. Will they cut your lawn and leave it looking nice......you will have to test them out.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put your name on the list at your local dealers. Let them know what you are looking for. They can usually tell you if they have any scheduled to be delivered.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I will put it this way
Dad paid 6 weeks wages for a petrol powered push mower back in 1962
My sister still has it and her neighbour mows the common area of her block of flats ( 3 floor walkup appartments to some ) plus 3 more on the main street & a couple down the side st
I have a yard full of mowers that the owners paid 1 or 2 days wages for that are less than 3 years old all needing major repairs
I almost never do anything to the Honda mowers that cost 1 to 2 weeks wages other than routine servicing & blade changes.

On the cheap big box ZTR mowers, I charge near double for doing the same job on a commercial or top of the range ZTR because they take a lot longer to fix & are substantially harder to work on.
For small yards I always recommend the small JD's .
Lots of "cheapness" like the parking brake that pushes a bar into the tyres like mum's 1945 baby stroller did, but fool proof and very low maintenance
I think the smallest one now days is the Z335
I have 2 customers who use their Z255's commercially & have been doing so for better than 5 years , both have needed strengthening of the lift arms but not bad for JD's bottom end ZTR
Next up would be the Toro TimeCutter .
Nicely thought out , well constructed but has a "fool proof" electronic parking brake that regularly gives you grief .
Nothing else in the residential end is worth touching and in particular everything made by Husqvarna ( craftsman , Poulan . Yard pro etc ) all total garbage which is a shame because they took over Dixon that made great residential grade ZTR's & closed them down .
The Cub Cadets again spend almost as much time in my shop as they do on customers lawns and every repair is an expensive one .
I don't see any other MTD made ZTR's so perhaps we don't get them down here
So don't be scared to open you wallet because "he who buys cheap pays thrice" and this is doubly true when it comes to mowers
Remember a ZTR has 2 hydros & a ZTR hydro is about 80% of the price of a tractor rear end ie 160%

Last edited:

ztmowerhelp

Threads
I appreciate everyone's input! After searching about 2-3 hours away from me, I was able to locate a Gravely ZT X, ZT XL, and ZT HD. Leaning towards the ZT XL, but I'm waiting to hear back from the ZT HD dealer. The ZT HD is certainly overkill, but the ZT XL dealer is tacking on a ton of random fees that make them a lot closer in price than they should be. The ZT HD dealer also appears to be significantly better and an overall great crew, as well as significantly closer.

Tough decisions, but I am hoping to have one within the next 1-2 weeks. Once again, thank you very much!

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I appreciate everyone's input! After searching about 2-3 hours away from me, I was able to locate a Gravely ZT X, ZT XL, and ZT HD. Leaning towards the ZT XL, but I'm waiting to hear back from the ZT HD dealer. The ZT HD is certainly overkill, but the ZT XL dealer is tacking on a ton of random fees that make them a lot closer in price than they should be. The ZT HD dealer also appears to be significantly better and an overall great crew, as well as significantly closer.

Tough decisions, but I am hoping to have one within the next 1-2 weeks. Once again, thank you very much!
The dealer should always be considered when making a purchase. If your closest dealer also carries Ariens mowers, check out the Ariens Apex. The Apex and Gravely ZT HD are very similar. There are some subtle differences. The engine offerings with be slightly different.

ztmowerhelp

Threads
Well, here's the long and short of it:

Gravely ZT XL 48 vs. ZT HD 52 - the ZT HD 52 out the door, delivered, tax included is exactly $900 more than the ZT XL 48. I am leaning towards spending the extra money for it, but before I do, figured I should ask here.

Thoughts? Thanks again!