zerk fitting near deck on turf tiger

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi bobby,
I just looked at the parts manual and from it I think that you can turn the shaft by putting a socket and a breaker bar on the L/H blade nut as if you were going to remove the blades and turn it which will turn the driveshaft so you can lineup the grease fitting. You may need to remove the safety shield on the L/H pulley area to gain access to the nut. Make sure that you remove all tools before you start the engine and operate the deck.

east_tn_emc

Threads
I take a long screwdriver and put it in the yolk-arm on the u-joint nearest the clutch and engine and use it as a handle to turn the driveshaft until I see the grease fitting line up with the hole so I can grease it. I just make sure the screwdriver is resting on the yolk-arm and not on the bearings.

That is also how I turn the driveshaft to get access to the grease fitting in that u-joint...turn it until the grease fitting on it is easily accessible.

Just turn it slowly and realize it takes a beefie screwdriver to turn the shaft. If you lay down on the ground behind the mower it makes it much easier to see things.

east_tn_emc

Threads
Here is how I turn my driveshaft...just make sure you are NOT prying on the zerk fitting, just on the yolk-arms. It turns pretty easy.

Attachments

• IMG_2200.jpg
    IMG_2200.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 60

east_tn_emc

Threads
Here are some pics of the front driveshaft U-joint...you can see in the one pic that the zerk fitting is lined-up with the cutout in the bracket....a straight grease gun works fine, you just have to make sure the driveshaft is turned so that the zerk fitting is on that side!

Attachments

• IMG_2197.jpg
    IMG_2197.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2202.jpg
    IMG_2202.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2203.jpg
    IMG_2203.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2204.jpg
    IMG_2204.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 45

Bobby Boyd

Threads
I appreciate all the great replies and especially the images. They will be very helpful.

You guys are a great help.

-bobby

hveich

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greasing the front driveshaft zerk is made easier by rotating the driveshaft however is best for you (I used a screwdriver in the yoke on the rear u-joint carefully, and feeling for the front u-joint zerk. In my case when the slipjoint zerk is pointing up (yours may be different depending how the slipjoint was mated) the front u-joint zerk points to the left, and can be serviced.

Cubby_Cadet007

Forum Newbie
Threads
Outstanding pictures East_tn_emc

much thanks for all of your time taking and posting them for us all to grasp the details

stuckinnj

Threads
I was looking at purchasing from Northern Tool "Performance Tool Grease Gun Accessory Kit-7Pc set Model #W50049. Cost is 39.99 plus tax.

I love my scag turf tiger but any rudimentary engineering course would tell the student if it needs grease make it easily accessible or it won't get greased.

As a side note: On the Kohler 27 hp engine they have the engine oil filter horizontal instead of vertical but yet say to fill filter with oil when changing. Not possible without spillage and alot of it.

One other note: There is a zerk fitting somewhere around the inside of the wheel housing (wheel must be taken off so I have been told to see it).

Looks like you already received plenty of good advice for your Zerk Fitting issue. I thought I would chime in on the oil filter comment. Even if you can't fill the filter, you should at minimum, fill the filter halfway and allow the oil to be absorb into the filter element material. This will prevent dry start up conditions and eliminate oil flow disruption. Always fill through the center hol and slowly tilt and rotate the filter to ensure you 'wet' the entire element. If your filter is installed horizontally, if you take the time to pre-fill properly, when installed it will be approx. 2/3 full prior to start up.

BTW - you should use this method for all engine oil filters. Car, truck, boat etc.....

Bobby Boyd

Threads
Well, I still haven't been able to get grease into the fitting at front of shaft. I purchased today a 90 degree coupler at auto zone that might just work but haven't tried it yet. I wanted to do a followup as I agree with mackie that many times we do not post a followup to our original posting once we have a solution. This is a geat forum and hope everyone enjoys it as much as I do.

Thanks for all the postings. I've learned a lot.

-bobby

Bobby Boyd

Threads
Well...this has been a real hard to get to grease fitting but I purchased a 90 degree coupler from autozone and may have actually given it a shot of grease today. I just can't tell whether grease is going in or not. I'm on the garden shed floor doing this and can't see anything; it's all by feel. Anyone know how to tell when grease is getting into the u-joint?

-bobby