Export thread

Z425 Motor replacement

R

rubantin

My mower stopped running today. When I turn it over there is a very loud double clunk with each rotation of the crank. So, I don't think I'll be taking the time to investigate. It has 800 hours and when I took the shroud off there was a lot of fur packed around the cylinders :(. So, I am sure it's toast. Anyways it is a 24hp 44L777-0144-G1 and I can't find a replacement for less than $1200. I found a new 20HP 40N877-0059-G1 that should drop in for $600 new.

What do you think?

R

Rivets

I’m not sure of the compatibility between those two engines, but if you are patient I’m sure StarTech will see your thread and be able to help you out. I really don’t like the guy, but you can trust his recommendations. Really good head on his shoulders, but I think it might be cross threaded.

StarTech

StarTech

You don't want to drop 4 hp especially with 48" or 54" deck.

R

rubantin

You don't want to drop 4 hp especially with 48" or 54" deck.
It's a 42" deck

R

rubantin

I can't drop $1200 right now...

StarTech

StarTech

JD Parts don't even show a 42" for the Z425 model.

But they do show an Briggs 40H777-0152-B1 as a replacement.

R

rubantin

My bad... It is 48"

R

rubantin

I dread the idea of pulling that engine apart....

R

rubantin

well? I just found a new 44S9770032G1 for $925... Would that work?

StarTech

StarTech

That is the Briggs recommend replacement for the current engine.
1686768459021.png
And you getting a fairly good discounted price and it is actually less what the short block costs me. Now you know why we don't rebuild many engines anymore.
1686768551166.png

R

rubantin

Thanks... will have to buy my wife some flowers though before I let her know ;)

B

bertsmobile1

Is that engine new or used ?
The only important thing is crankshaft PTO dimensions as all the other bits will transfer from your mower to the new engine
There are a lot of variations in the basic spec
the drop in Hp should not be a problem
At worst you will have to run a bit slower
I put a 40 series into a 60" JD because I had it on hand on the promise that if it was a problem I would rebuild his original cooked engine for free.
Long story short, we transferred the blower housing and his partner who does the mowing reckons it is running better now than when they first bought it.

Flat 5 acre yard with horses & trailer for shifting hay bales & other horsey things like poo picker yard rake etc etc