Z3X PTO randomly shutting off

racer0803

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone. I just purchased a Ferris Z3X about 6 weeks ago. Love this mower, however I'm having one annoying problem. For some reason the PTO keeps randomly shutting off while I"m mowing. I know the blades will shut off if you step off the operator platform, however this is not the issue. I can start the mower, engage the PTO, and then it will shut off within the first 4-5 feet of mowing. It will not reset by pulling up on the PTO switch like when you step off the platform. I have to step off the platform, step back on to the platform, and then usually it will reengage. I cannot seem to find a pattern or reason as to why it's shutting off. I mowed last week and didn't have a single issue. I tried to mow yesterday and couldn't get 5 feet into the yard without it constantly shutting off. Drove back to the garage, tried to make sure the electrical connections were tight, and then was finally able to mow with it only shutting off once in the middle of the mowing session. This happens on flat and sloped terrain. I've put some dielectric grease on the PTO switch and operator presence switch. Is there anywhere else I should look or check? Is there an adjustment to the operator presence switch?Thanks!

Mower King

Threads
Hi everyone. I just purchased a Ferris Z3X about 6 weeks ago. Love this mower, however I'm having one annoying problem. For some reason the PTO keeps randomly shutting off while I"m mowing. I know the blades will shut off if you step off the operator platform, however this is not the issue. I can start the mower, engage the PTO, and then it will shut off within the first 4-5 feet of mowing. It will not reset by pulling up on the PTO switch like when you step off the platform. I have to step off the platform, step back on to the platform, and then usually it will reengage. I cannot seem to find a pattern or reason as to why it's shutting off. I mowed last week and didn't have a single issue. I tried to mow yesterday and couldn't get 5 feet into the yard without it constantly shutting off. Drove back to the garage, tried to make sure the electrical connections were tight, and then was finally able to mow with it only shutting off once in the middle of the mowing session. This happens on flat and sloped terrain. I've put some dielectric grease on the PTO switch and operator presence switch. Is there anywhere else I should look or check? Is there an adjustment to the operator presence switch?Thanks!
Did you buy it NEW 6 weeks ago? If you did, no need to try to fix it, just take it back to where you bought and have them repair it under warranty. Now if you bought it used, that's a different story...you're gonna have to put on your thinking cap!

racer0803

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you buy it NEW 6 weeks ago? If you did, no need to try to fix it, just take it back to where you bought and have them repair it under warranty. Now if you bought it used, that's a different story...you're gonna have to put on your thinking cap!
Hi mower king. I purchased it new, however my dealer is over a hundred miles away. I'd have to rent a trailer, drop it off, rent a trailer again to pick up. Not worth it....Was hoping someone has run across this and could recommend a few thing tho check.

Mower King

Threads
Hi mower king. I purchased it new, however my dealer is over a hundred miles away. I'd have to rent a trailer, drop it off, rent a trailer again to pick up. Not worth it....Was hoping someone has run across this and could recommend a few thing tho check.
I can understand that.....so, If you can step off and on the platform and it re-sets or re-engages...that interlock switch is where i'd start looking at.

racer0803

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can understand that.....so, If you can step off and on the platform and it re-sets or re-engages...that interlock switch is where i'd start looking at.
Thank you, that's what I'm thinking too. I'm not sure if there's any kind of adjustment, but I'm thinking maybe the switch isn't fully depressed. I guess I could defeat the safety by jumping the electrical connector to test that theory, right? It's such a difficult spot to get to...

racer0803

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I solved this problem, and just thought I'd share with the community what I figured out for those who might search for this problem in the future.

There is a "linkage" that attaches to the rear platform shock absorber on the Ferris Z3X. When the operator steps on the platform the linkage is pulled in an upwards direction thus closing the switch, completing the circuit, and allowing the PTO to operate and spin the blades. After jacking up the mower, crawling underneath, and operating the platform while watching this linkage, I determined that the linkage was not fully depressing the operator presence switch. Not sure if this is by design or not, but the shock has about a half to 3/4 inch of travel/play when you first step on the platform, and then it begins to move the linkage. I was able to determine that the linkage was not fully depressing the switch or was just right at that point between off and on. Instead of taking out the linkage to slightly bend it, trying to move the switch down, or messing with the shock, I came up with a really low tech solution. I put a thick felt furniture pad (about the diameter of a nickel) on top of the linkage to take up the travel/play that I mentioned earlier. Now the felt pad sits about 1/16 of an inch from the switch. As soon as you step on the platform, the linkage engages the switch. When I first step on the platform now, I can actually hear the switch "click" on and off. I took it out for a quick mow yesterday and it functioned flawlessly. Hope this solution helps someone in the future or at least gives you some ideas of where to start looking. Image attached for clarity on which part I'm referring to. I placed the felt pad on the upper surface of the bottom tab. Clear as mud...

Attachments

• SRS linkage.png
    SRS linkage.png
    301.1 KB · Views: 11

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
thank you for this
Every now & then a problem comes up that no-one has seen before so your closing post will be invaluable in the future.

hapdaddy86

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good Morning, I have the Ferris 4000 series and I'm having the same issue. Now it will not come on at all and I am waiting on my guy to come and pick it up to repair it. I'll let you know what I find out.

racer0803

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good Morning, I have the Ferris 4000 series and I'm having the same issue. Now it will not come on at all and I am waiting on my guy to come and pick it up to repair it. I'll let you know what I find out.
Hope you are able to get the problem figured out. I know it's terribly frustrating when all you want to do is mow, and the PTO keeps shutting off. My "fix' has been working flawlessly so far. I still don't know if there's any adjustment to the operator presence switch, but if it could be moved down ever so slightly, I wonder if that might fix your issue. Good luck!

hapdaddy86

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hope you are able to get the problem figured out. I know it's terribly frustrating when all you want to do is mow, and the PTO keeps shutting off. My "fix' has been working flawlessly so far. I still don't know if there's any adjustment to the operator presence switch, but if it could be moved down ever so slightly, I wonder if that might fix your issue. Good luck!
My unit turned out to be the clutch went out. Got it replaced under warranty with 12.5 hours on the mower and really shocked that it went out that quick.