Z Force S60 not starting

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fine for something like a hydro case that will hopefully only come apart once in 10 years or longer
But a dissaster for things like a rocker cover that comes off regularly
Some nice Klingerit gaskets applied with Hylomar on one side & bentonite grease or graphite on the the other and it will strip clean without breaking every time & require nothing more than a quick wipe with a shop rag before reassembly.
I have pulled down so may engines on cart & motorcycles where more than 1/2 the oil pick up screen was clogged with silicon than I could count.
I have been in workshops and seen tubes of silicon in caulking guns because they do not clean the old stuff off, just keep putting it on thicker & thicker .

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
What do you think they use when they assemble the engines at the factory? Do they smear it on and wait to assemble the engines and an hour to torque them and wait 24 hrs to test run the engines or do they even do that anymore.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What Briggs supplies is the regular stuff. But cleaning the RTV off isn't as bad for me and of the engine I have disassembled that are factory sealed are clean of RTV. It is those in the field that is making a mess of things. I even had one idiot to try to RTV a head gasket and couldn't find why the engine would not run. Besides you don't have to go hog wild when applying the RTV. And there is a curing time for what I use.

As for the factory test running every engine I very doubt that happens on the assembly line. Besides it would required us in the field to clean brand new engines carburetors everytime we turned around. They just do a random sampling of the engines for quality control.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't know what is done over there but down here they used to get hooked up to a propane / air feed hose and fiired up without oil, just the assembly lube.
So it is basically engine fires more than once = good

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hmmm, that is a good possibility but to me that not a real test. I usually have to test a lot longer on a rebuild here to check for leaks at least. Now of course I haven't in one their factories to see for myself either. I wonder if the local Briggs factory would let me tour the engine assembly plant. Probably not since I not a dealer.

Jaxondaweb

Threads
Model 17ASDGHD056 SN 1C208H60075 2018
Hi all, i replaced the battery around a year ago (Walmart). The engine turns over1/8th to maybe a full revolution and then stops. It does this with a battery charger on ar 40 amps also. Put the battery on trickle charge for a few days it showed full charge. Is this a battery issue or a starter issue or something else i havent thought of?
Thanks in advance
Pull the spark plug and see if turns over then. Do not look in the plug hole when you turn on the switch might be fuel or what ever in there.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hmmm, that is a good possibility but to me that not a real test. I usually have to test a lot longer on a rebuild here to check for leaks at least. Now of course I haven't in one their factories to see for myself either. I wonder if the local Briggs factory would let me tour the engine assembly plant. Probably not since I not a dealer.
What you need to remember that this is an assembly line so none of the engines had a problem to be fixed unlike what comes into your workshop.
So all they are doing is the most basic of test to make sure that most of the parts have been put in and the engine runs.
After that the rest is up to the dealers.
Leyland "Hot Run Tested"all of their cars at the Zetland plant where I worked one summer break.
"Hot Run Testing " = starting the car at the end of the assembly track & driving it either to despatch or mechanical rectification both of which were about 1000 yards away at the opposite end of the plant .
The engine plant did the bit with the propane .

We need to keep things in perspective.
These are the cheapest engines it is possible to build so they are not going to be placed on a water brake tested & tuned for peak performance before despatch .

Skip Z Force 60

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry it took so long go get back, life happens. Anyway i went and tightened all electrical connections, all were tight, and still nogo, pulled both spark plugs rotated just fine with no debries coming out of sparkplug hole. Reinstalled and not rotating like it should. This unit has only 120 hours on it. I am thinking it may be in the compression side of things as it appeared to rotate in reverse a couple of times after i let off the key.
Thanks

Skip Z Force 60

Forum Newbie
Threads
Im back sorry took so long to get back with ya, short recap, 2018 Z Force 60 Cub zero turn w/ Kohler 25 hp, 7000 series, KT740-725 cc. Will not start appears to be getting compression bound. Newer battery, used charger with 40 amps to jump and trickle charged for 3 days, still no go, pulled spark plugs turns over great, pulled valve covers and adjusted valves to .005ish (they did not appear to be off only 120 hrs on it), all 4 lifting rods are lifting valves as they should. Still appears to be compression related, gets 1 revolution then stops ( even when jumped), sometimes kicks backwards a little when you let off the key. Worked on lots of different rigs and have never run into something like this. Help if ya can, thanks