YTH24v48 mower shuts off shortly after blades start spinning

DAVES302

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / YTH24v48 mower shuts off shortly after blades start spinning
My mower starts and seems to be running fine but the motor will shut off after the blades start spinning. Sometimes they will spin for about 10 seconds before the mower dies and other times it's immediate. Everything looks good with the seat safety switch and the PTO seems to be engaging because the blades start spinning. If I spin the blades manually with the mower off they spin reasonably free but there does seem to be some squeaking and resistance. Everything was running good when i put it away for the winter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome
Locate the reverse switch behind the rear wheel that has the F-R rod near it( follow the wires down from the seat switch ) and unplug it
Problem goes away means that switch is faulty or there is debris there preventing the plunger fully extending
Unplug the seat switch , saturate the plug with contact cleaner , WD40 or some thing similar then replug & unplug it a few times .
If you have a compressor blow both plugs out from the wire end.
The socket on the mower end has a shorting strip in it that can corrode ovr winter .
Unplug the PTO clutch and see if the problem goes away
This indicates a PTO clutch / deck problem
If yes then remove the belt , problem goes away = deck problem , problem remains = Clutch problem or switch problem.
Np s[ecifi order to those tests just as they came to mind
Let us know what happens for detailed repair instructions or further testing .

DAVES302

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your response...I unplugged the seat switch and the mower would not stay running after I let the clutch out. I cleaned the plug and replaced it, no change. The seat switch wires branch out into a second plug (not sure where it goes) I unplugged that and got no new results. The seat switch wiring heads toward the front of the mower inside the chasis. Not sure how to unplug the PTO clutch? I found the plug by the rear wheel...I unplugged it and no change...I cleaned it and replaced it, no change. I also removed the drive belt from the PTO...no change

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here is your wiring diagram
It is at the front of the parts manual which is a free download from Husqvarna which you should download & keep a copy of .
Well actually it is not because the recient forum changes have been playing havock with my computers & 5 attempts to attach the wiring diagram failed
I might try again latter
The garbage internet Australia has does not help
Tour mower has a shorting strip in the seat switch plug
There are notorious for giving grief
Saturate the female section of the plug with contact cleaner , Wd 40, whatever ou have then plug & unplug is ceveral times to clean off corrosion then blow it out from the wire ent to send the crud into low earth orbit .
Then when you rejoin it make sure that it is connected tight
If I can get the diagram to upoad then I can give you more specific tests to verify / rule out faulty parts
The PTO plug will either be where the wires join into the PTO clutch or on those wires where they come through the mower floor .
The reason for doing this it to work out if your problem is the circuits or the clutch .
Similarly the PTO switch itself can corrode internally or in one case there was an ants nest inside the switch.
So again it can be saturated with WD 40 and the switch worked many times to clean out the crud