Your favorite, most dependable tachometer

HarmonySeeker

Threads
I have not seen any difference in how you put the tach on the engine. Biggest problem I have found is the flatter the area the better, you want it as smooth as possible to get the best reading.
That makes sense. You always have to hook the vibe unit to a smooth surface, as well.

steve0701

Threads
The Tecumseh Vibratach. No electrical connections. Hold it against the flywheel cover and twist the dial until the shakey wire becomes steady.

temp.jpg

Captn Cliffy

Threads
When I bought the business it came with one of these wireless tachos don't know where he got it from.
Since then I have bought a tiny tach because it is tiny & fits in the service tool box .
The big one is easier to use because it is not as sensitive as the tiny tach so does not go OL if you get it too close and of course a moving needle is easier to adjust with than numbers flashing faster than you can read them .
So it is tiny for checking and big for adjusting .
Been wanting to get a mechanical one just to check the accuracy but all of my suppliers have dropped them from their catalogues.
I have the wireless tach you have a picture of - it's a Dixon model 1082. A local wholesaler was a PrimeLine distributor, so I bought mine from PrimeLine. It uses a 9V battery. I believe it to be accurate. For me, the analog needle is easier to read for rpm's than a digital display that constantly changes. I also have the Vibra Tach that Rivets uses. As he says, it takes practice to learn how to use it. He mentions other uses for it - Briggs service manuals use it to determine starter speed when bench testing a starter motor.

HarmonySeeker

Threads
I am now using an app called 'Engine RPM' by RealTime Specialties. It works great with repeatable results.
I'll pick up a vibra tach if I see one cheap. It still looks interesting

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
50 years ago? Wow, I didn't know they had been around that long.

WSD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you order different versions for different number of cylinders, as a previous poster intimated?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The VibraTach can be used with any number of cylinders.

Its Me

Threads

PTmowerMec, the first one I bought was sold my Briggs & Stratton and don't remember where I bought the second one which was right behind the other one, had to have two, I am sure you are possible the same a backup, it was plastic think it might break so two is better, I was wrong, still got both and even the timing tool for the old Tecumseh engines.​