Your favorite, most dependable tachometer

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just got the Archer Tach A523051. I like it.
1587922586730.png

HarmonySeeker

Threads
When I bought the business it came with one of these wireless tachos don't know where he got it from.
Since then I have bought a tiny tach because it is tiny & fits in the service tool box .
The big one is easier to use because it is not as sensitive as the tiny tach so does not go OL if you get it too close and of course a moving needle is easier to adjust with than numbers flashing faster than you can read them .
So it is tiny for checking and big for adjusting .
Been wanting to get a mechanical one just to check the accuracy but all of my suppliers have dropped them from their catalogues.
If you've no use for that ol' wireless tacho that came with your business, what would you like for it?
I'm old school and that unit looks similar to the first one I got as a teen, but it was for 6-8 cylinders, of course.
It would fit in perfect in my garage's motif.
Thanks!

HarmonySeeker

Threads
I just got the Archer Tach A523051. I like it.
View attachment 51830
I was just looking at that and the myriad of choices available, right down to the $14.00 ones. It kept coming down to the same question for me: How can one tell if it is accurate, other than outlandishly high or low or no readings?
I just found this one on Amazon! 4.5 star rating and 92 reviews! No battery needed, either! I'm sold!

HarmonySeeker

Threads
I know that it is easy to use, have one in the shop. You asked for most favorable and dependable tach. The one I use is my favorite and because it needs no power source, is one that has never failed me. Yours is easiest to use.
After reviewing the reviews and options, I have to agree with you. I'm ordering a B&S version from Amazon. Now THAT is an old school tachometer!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just to give you a warning, the learning curve on this type is not short. Most of my students needed at least 2 dozen uses to get to where I would give them an A on the test. Best to learn on a smooth running engine, unit running rough will drive you to the bar.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you've no use for that ol' wireless tacho that came with your business, what would you like for it?
I'm old school and that unit looks similar to the first one I got as a teen, but it was for 6-8 cylinders, of course.
It would fit in perfect in my garage's motif.
Thanks!

That would be tempting fate a bit too far.
Right now it is the back up I never use , till of course I get rid of it when it will be neded.

HarmonySeeker

Threads
Just to give you a warning, the learning curve on this type is not short. Most of my students needed at least 2 dozen uses to get to where I would give them an A on the test. Best to learn on a smooth running engine, unit running rough will drive you to the bar.
Having had some formal training in vibration analysis, when I was watching that wire jiggle it looked familiar for some reason. To test a theory, does the device work best when laid with the wire in line with the crankshaft or perpendicular to the direction of the crankshaft? Amazing as it seems, with the right equipment, you can find bad bearings, excessive end-play just by watching jiggly lines on a display. So I'm not at all surprised there is a piece of equipment such as this.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have not seen any difference in how you put the tach on the engine. Biggest problem I have found is the flatter the area the better, you want it as smooth as possible to get the best reading.