Yard vs. Garden Tractors, Husqvarna, 2.5 acres

VeRawr

Forum Newbie
Threads
There are a few different Husqvarna mowers that we are looking at but the best ones are not carried at Lowe's and so we wouldn't be able to purchase an extended protection plan. However, Husqvarnas are - as far as mowers go - quite sexy :p and they also have a really good track record. I'm pretty sure they are also made in the US. The Husqvarnas we are looking at are... Shop Husqvarna 26-HP V-Twin Dual Hydrostatic 54" Garden Tractor at Lowes.com , HUSQVARNA LGT24K54 - Garden tractors , HUSQVARNA YTH24V54XLS - Garden tractors

Of the Husqvarnas, two are garden and one is yard. Garden tractors are supposed to be heavier duty than yard tractors, despite the name which makes you think the opposite. The top of the line yard tractor is the YTH24V54XLS that has a Kawasaki engine, locking rear differential (which will be important when we're plowing snow with it) and a stamped deck rather than a fabricated one. The LGT24K54 is considered a garden tractor and also has a Kawasaki engine and a stamped deck, but does NOT have a locking rear differential, ... it has bigger tires which is supposed to mean the rear axle can support more weight while towing? which would mean if we wanted to tow something heavy we shouldn't do it with the YTH24V54XLS... so I think the XLS is amazing if you're just mowing while the LGT is a little more versatile. It's two and a half acres and we hope to expand and buy additional neighboring property, build a small barn and get a few farm animals, like 2 horses and 2 goats... my husband says he would like to be able to tow something ground engaging - that he wants the option to be available - although he doesn't know what he would do with it.

Our main use would be mowing, at least in these warm seasons (in Oklahoma). We'll also be buying a plow attachment and using it to clear out our driveway when it snows.

When would we need to use something ground engaging? Our "grass" is mostly weeds and so we will eventually be wanting to use some form of "weed/feed" that kills weeds but grows grass, but I don't think we would need to till, etc in order to do that... right?

The very maximum we can spend right now is $3000 and would prefer to spend less than that ($2500), but would like the tractor to last a reasonable length of time, like 5+ years.

I apologize for the formatting, I've copied/pasted from my personal facebook.
I may cross-post this thread to a different forum if I do not get responses here, because I did not see any Husqvarna-specific forums.

VeRawr

Forum Newbie
Threads
We were also looking at some John Deeres that are available at Lowe's, but I have been told by a friend that they are not the same quality JDs that were traditionally available.

jenkinsph

Threads
You might be better served with an older Deere 400 series GT these have been around a while and are well respected. These are similar to the new 700 series I have the x749 and really like it.

About the ground engaging part, I build landscapes for a living and the larger garden tractors are handy for the tight quarters work. In most cases I find that to have a nice lawn that tilling, seeding and rolling has to be done. So being able to do ground engagement work is important.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
For the money you want to spend...
The new stuff in that price range will be marginally able to do all you want...

best bet, but not the easiest is like jenkinsph has suggested... Find a Good Older, used machine...
:smile:KennyV

fastback

Threads
In 2011, I went through the same dilemma. I also looked at the big box stores. If the Husqvarna is the tractor you are looking for check at a local trator supplier. The garden tractor offered at Lowes is a lighter weight unit. Last years model's offered two other units a bit heavier duty but could be only purchased at a dealer. The transmissions offered at Lowes are for light duty work. There is a sales flyer with all of their models provided by the dealer. I believe that the GT's with the LS are the heavy duty models.

Last year the two GT's not sold by Lowes was a LS, GT with a 48 inch deck and a tractor with a 52 fabicated deck and a 26 hp Kawasaki. Both of these tractors have the heavier trans axels. I bought the 26 hp, with the 52 inch deck. The spindles on the deck have greaseable bearings. Right now I have about 70 hours on it and so far I am satisfied. I paid around $2,900.

I agree with the others a good used JD or equal with low hours would be a very good option.

Oh, all I do with my tractor is cut grass.

Hope this helps.

MowerTodd

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Husqvarna LGT24K54 is a good choice. Although it does not have the locking rear differential, it does indeed have the ability to attach a plow or snowblower. With all tractors, I would recommend adding tire chains and/or weights to help with traction, but plowing snow will not be a problem with this tractor. The Kawasaki engine also adds to my recommendation, as it is a great engine with a longer warranty than others.

Hope this helps

Todd Gwaltney
Product Expert
Lawn Mowers Direct

bmartin2000

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Husqvarna YTH26V54 has gotten pretty good reviews as well. I'm a Snapper fan. Most people seem to prefer Toro or Deere, but I've found my Snapper works pretty good. The Snapper SPX2246 works great for me.