Yard Machines by MTD 638 Cutting Height Adjustment

Pecosbill

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Yard Machines by MTD 638 Cutting Height Adjustment
Took the mower into the shop to have belts replaced and tune up. Told them it wasn't cutting level and needed someone to look at that. Lady called and said it was ready. Got mower back home and found that (1) tune up work (oil change, etc.) wasn't done, and (2) cutting height was now way off. At the highest cutting level the deck is only 2 3/4" off the ground; at the lowest adjustment (notch one) the deck drags the ground. I normally like to cut the fescue at 3.5" and this is impossible now with the mower being set up like it is. Plus the deck is 3/4" lower on one side than on the other. Called and was told that "they've been in business for 46 years and we think we know what we're doing." Not going back there.....ever. I guess I got lazy and opted to pay someone to do things I could've done myself, so now I need to see if I can straighten this mower out. Can anyone tell me if there is an adjustment mechanism on the deck that raises and lowers the settings so that when I have it on the highest (fifth) height it will actually cut at 3.50 inches? Also, how do I adjust it so the right to left cutting height is the same on both sides? Any pics would be most greatly appreciated! Thanks

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Need your complete Model & Serial numbers from under seat.
Google "Home Adviser" on your computer, then lawn tractor repair shops, by entering your zip code it should give you names & addresses of shops plus reviews & stars.. It does not cost you anything using Home Advisor plus some shops may send a mechanic out to your home if you give them all information needed.

Last edited:

CaptFerd

Threads
A business open for 45 yrs doesn't necessarily mean that the person doing the service has been doing it as long. May have been his first day after graduating YouTube University.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Or just a stuff up, in a big shop easy to put a finished job tag on a mower waiting to be started .
Big minus for the attitude
Ring them back and be polite, tell them that while the belts were changed the full service was not done.
Be nice and tell them that you understand that in a busy shop communucation mistakes can happen
If they continue to insist that it was done then you will make a 10 minute video detailing what was not done and post it on every local face book page plus set up a face book page about them fradulently charging you for work that was not done .

Pecosbill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Need your complete Model & Serial numbers from under seat.
Google "Home Adviser" on your computer, then lawn tractor repair shops, by entering your zip code it should give you names & addresses of shops plus reviews & stars.. It does not cost you anything using Home Advisor plus some shops may send a mechanic out to your home if you give them all information needed.
The tag says: 13AM762F Yard machines by MTD 638 AL

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First the model given is missing the last three digits. So which of the follow 5 versions is it?
1658091904941.png
Second if it is straight un-level side to side as you laid a board down on ground and raised one side then the adjust is on the LH rear hanger It is a 1-1/4 or 1-3/8 Hex not with a 1/2 or 9/16 screw (bolt) in the center. This raises and lowers the left side to match the RH side. Now note many of the ""F" decks (38" cut) do drag the ground on the lowest setting. Now a bent blade or spindle mount can also cause un-level cutting. Also the front leading edge of the deck needs to be slightly lower than the rear.

On top this mismatch tire pressures Left and Right can cause un-level cutting. Front tires needs to be 15 psi each and the Rear tires needs to be 10 psi each.