Yard Machine, 5 H.P., 22" Snow Blower

ranckie

Threads
Those snow King engines do not have roller bearings for the crankshaft just the aluminum case for the bearing. When you tip it like you did the oil can come out the breather on the side of the crankcase just below the intake and exhaust port's. For oil to leak out the crankshaft journal it would have too be totally worn out and have allot of play in the shaft and most likely wouldn't run correctly. On the breather port with be a rubber hose that should point downwards. Make sure you only have 19 to 20oz of 5w30 oil in the 5hp engine.

ranckie

Threads
Thank you Rustycat for letting me know that but now I'm obviously confused. Others have stated that my engine contains a ball bearing but it looks like your response might be the correct one, and it might explain why the engine diagram I found on line for my engine shows a ball bearing in the picture, (shown as P/N 23) but does not list that bearing part number in the parts listing as you'll see in the attached pictures. The pictures I've attached will shed some light on my reply. The 1st picture shows the data plate on my engine which clearly shows that my engine is a model HSSK50, 67404S. The 2nd picture shows the parts diagram, and the 3rd picture shows the parts list that goes with that diagram. I found all of that online for my engine and while the parts picture clearly shows the model number in the upper left corner that it's the correct one for my engine and shows a bearing, listed as Part No. 23, you'll also notice that in the 3rd picture, (the parts list), that there is no number 23 listed which I'm guessing could be their way of saying that that particular engine does not contain a ball bearing. Now I wish there were a third way of me settling that question for sure, though I'm leaning on agreeing with your answer because of the absense of a part number 23 in the parts listing. All I have to do to see if there is wear in the bearing area of the sump cover is to release the tension on the belts and see if the crankshaft moves up and down freely. To settle the question of the oil leak, I'll remove the belt cover and tip the blower up again and watch to see where the oil is leaking from which hopefuly should be obvious. I've already looked into the correct oil capacity and it's 21 oz., (2.625 cups) of 5W-30. Thanks again for your input.

Attachments

• Tecumseh Engine Data Plate (480x640).jpg
    Tecumseh Engine Data Plate (480x640).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Parts Diagram-1 (640x455).jpg
    Parts Diagram-1 (640x455).jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Parts Diagram-2 (640x427).jpg
    Parts Diagram-2 (640x427).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most Tecumseh engines which had a bearing on the crankshaft used Tecumseh part number 31793

ranckie

Threads
Most Tecumseh engines which had a bearing on the crankshaft used Tecumseh part number 31793
So I'm sure you can understand my confusion which begs the question to you, does my engine have a ball bearing or does it use the sump cover as a bearing as the other gentleman suggests. Your response here simply says that those engines that DID use a bearing used P/N 31793, but it does not say if my engine is one that used a bearing.

rustycat

Threads
So I'm sure you can understand my confusion which begs the question to you, does my engine have a ball bearing or does it use the sump cover as a bearing as the other gentleman suggests. Your response here simply says that those engines that DID use a bearing used P/N 31793, but it does not say if my engine is one that used a bearing.
Take your engine model number and look up the parts illustration. I've took apart many Tecumseh 4 stroke engines and none of them had roller bearings. Two stroke engines use roller bearings as the gas oil mixture has to get into the bearings for lubrication. 4 strokes have crankshaft on aluminum housing. The oil is not leaking from the crankshaft journal but through the oil breather on the side of the block just below the intake exhaust port's. Find that and then tip it over and watch where the oil comes from.

ranckie

Threads
Take your engine model number and look up the parts illustration. I've took apart many Tecumseh 4 stroke engines and none of them had roller bearings. Two stroke engines use roller bearings as the gas oil mixture has to get into the bearings for lubrication. 4 strokes have crankshaft on aluminum housing. The oil is not leaking from the crankshaft journal but through the oil breather on the side of the block just below the intake exhaust port's. Find that and then tip it over and watch where the oil comes from.
Rustycat, I believe you regarding not having a ball bearing; my comment above was intended for Rivets, only because he is the one who stated that the engine had a ball bearing, and I want to assure everyone that I mean no disrespect to any and all that forward me information regarding this engine . I did look at the pictoral parts diagram for my engine but got a bit confused when the diagram did show a ball bearing (#23), but the parts list did not show that p/n (# 23), (see my 3 pictures above). Your answer re: oil for the 2 cycle engins makes sense as well since there is no oil sump to lubricate ball bearings. Finally, I also believe you when you state that my oil leak is coming from the crankcase breather area. Is there an easy solution for preventing the oil from leaking out from that breather when servicing the area underneath, like when working on the friction disc? My guess is to simply plug the end of the tube where it connects to the cover. Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.

rustycat

Threads
Rustycat, I believe you regarding not having a ball bearing; my comment above was intended for Rivets, only because he is the one who stated that the engine had a ball bearing, and I want to assure everyone that I mean no disrespect to any and all that forward me information regarding this engine . I did look at the pictoral parts diagram for my engine but got a bit confused when the diagram did show a ball bearing (#23), but the parts list did not show that p/n (# 23), (see my 3 pictures above). Your answer re: oil for the 2 cycle engins makes sense as well since there is no oil sump to lubricate ball bearings. Finally, I also believe you when you state that my oil leak is coming from the crankcase breather area. Is there an easy solution for preventing the oil from leaking out from that breather when servicing the area underneath, like when working on the friction disc? My guess is to simply plug the end of the tube where it connects to the cover. Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.
How about just draining the oil out of the engine when you tip it on its side. You would turn your beer can upside down while it's full you would empty it first. (You can't waist beer)

ranckie

Threads
How about just draining the oil out of the engine when you tip it on its side. You would turn your beer can upside down while it's full you would empty it first. (You can't waist beer)
Ha. Even better, I'll just drink the beer while the oil is draining out of the sump. Yeah, since working underneath the machine is not an everyday thing, an oil change evry now and then would do it fine. But, plugging the breather tube is surely quicker and whatever oil ends up behind the breather cover will eventually just drain back into the sump right?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As you stated the illustration shows a bearing, but the parts list doesn’t. I know on many of the older Tecumseh engines which were used on snowblowers did use a ball bearing, but because I no longer have access to the paper parts drawings (yes I’m that old) I can’t tell you if your engine absolutely has one. The only way to find out is to pull the sump cover and find out. If you don’t want to do that, you’ll never find out unless you can find someone who still has the Tecumseh parts books. One assumption you are making, after rereading your first post, is that if your engine uses a bushing the changing will not solve your problem. As I’ve changed PTO seals on many of these engines, I’ve found that most of the seals have deteriorated to the point where they no longer do there job. Being that your engine is 20+ years old I would just replace the seal and give this MULE a longer life.

rustycat

Threads
As you stated the illustration shows a bearing, but the parts list doesn’t. I know on many of the older Tecumseh engines which were used on snowblowers did use a ball bearing, but because I no longer have access to the paper parts drawings (yes I’m that old) I can’t tell you if your engine absolutely has one. The only way to find out is to pull the sump cover and find out. If you don’t want to do that, you’ll never find out unless you can find someone who still has the Tecumseh parts books. One assumption you are making, after rereading your first post, is that if your engine uses a bushing the changing will not solve your problem. As I’ve changed PTO seals on many of these engines, I’ve found that most of the seals have deteriorated to the point where they no longer do there job. Being that your engine is 20+ years old I would just replace the seal and give this MULE a longer life.
It doesn't leak while running so don't mess with it. It only leaks when he tipped it on it side so the oil it coming from some place else. Tecumseh 4 stroke engines never had roller bearings on the crankshaft just the aluminum case for the bearing. Two stroke engines use roller bearings.