Yard King transmission question

David G

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All,

First post here. I have a Yard King mower that came with the property that I purchased recently. There's no owners manual and I can't find one online for this model. Here's the details of the machine. Manufactured in 1999, model number 52161X89A, 52" deck, 22 HP B&S engine. Machine starts readily and runs strong. The hydrostatic transmission sometimes works well and then decides that it doesn't want to work, especially in reverse. I pushed it back into the garage and when I tried it again yesterday the transmission worked fine and I cut the lawn. Afterward I washed it off and then went to move it back into the garage and no go. Tranny not working again.

Does this sound familiar to any of you folks? Any ideas of why this has erratic function?

Thanks in advance, Dave in Stanwood, WA

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check condition of the drive belt that is hidden up in the frame. May be worn and cracked. this mower is manufactured by Murray.

David G

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good information, thanks! The belt is not worn or cracked but feels a bit loose, maybe enough to cause the problem. What sort of a job is it to R&R this belt? Not a real fun place to work but it is what it is.....

Thanks again, Dave

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Drain the fuel tank . remove the battery & undo the deck.
Then lift the mower by the front till it is standing up in the air on it bum.
Now it will be a piece of cake to to replace the drive belt.
On a lot of Murray built mowers you need to pull the steering stem out to run the belt down both sides of it.
If so while it is out check the condition of the lower steering bush, they wear because no one ever oils them because they are hard to get at.

Finally do not wash down the mower.
water does nt shift rass and accumultates underneat and rusts out decks lightening fast.
Blow it down.
A compressor with a long dusting gun is best but if you dont have one a leaf blower will do the job, just takes a bit longer and is messy.