Yamaha engine

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
SO you got one of those Monday morning hangover specials
All the right gear wrongly put together .
I don’t know on which day it was made. But, I should have dug a little deeper before buying one with the Yamaha engine. There are plenty of examples of Bad Boy mowers having problems with the Yamaha power plant. The Kohler on my new Gravely is one sweet running engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Funny
I just did a Toro Titan & had to drill out the main jets to stop it running way too lean
This is the 3rd time I have needed to do this
Owner said it has never run as well from the day he bought it .
Engine was overheating because it was running so lean and if it was stopped for more than a minute or so would not crank
Fine if the mowed the 20 acres in one hit but if they had a toilet stop, that was it till the engine became stone cold .
And sure enough, when trying to start a hot engine the starter could barely turn the engine over

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Funny
I just did a Toro Titan & had to drill out the main jets to stop it running way too lean
This is the 3rd time I have needed to do this
Owner said it has never run as well from the day he bought it .
Engine was overheating because it was running so lean and if it was stopped for more than a minute or so would not crank
Fine if the mowed the 20 acres in one hit but if they had a toilet stop, that was it till the engine became stone cold .
And sure enough, when trying to start a hot engine the starter could barely turn the engine over
Was this a Loncin or Kohler?
I would definitely choose a Loncin over a Yamaha.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
7000 series Kohler
I wished that would have been all that was wrong with that Yamaha. The rebuild and updated float would have fixed it. There was a service bulletin and updated float for the carburetor. The next time I get by my Gravely dealer, I’ll see what they found. I imagine that Gravely sent them a new Yamaha engine and they either sold the mower or used it for a loaner. Gravely wouldn’t allow the dealer to repower with a Kohler or Kawasaki. The mower model and serial numbers would have to match with a Yamaha engine.

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wished that would have been all that was wrong with that Yamaha. The rebuild and updated float would have fixed it. There was a service bulletin and updated float for the carburetor. The next time I get by my Gravely dealer, I’ll see what they found. I imagine that Gravely sent them a new Yamaha engine and they either sold the mower or used it for a loaner. Gravely wouldn’t allow the dealer to repower with a Kohler or Kawasaki. The mower model and serial numbers would have to match with a Yamaha engine.
I stopped by my Gravely dealer today to pick up some transmission filters for the ZT 5400 hydros and look at some pole saws. I asked one of the owners about the Yamaha powered Pro Turn that I traded in. He informed me that Gravely and Yamaha authorized an engine replacement. He said the MX800V replacement engine wasn’t a whole lot better than the original. He said, they keep the mower around the shop for various things.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was at my Gravely dealer buying service parts, yesterday. I asked the owner about my former Pro Turn 160. He said that, he had it at his house and it was running fine for three hours. My last visit, he said it was on it’s second Yamaha engine and that one was running bad. He finally told me that he recently installed the second warrantied engine. So the darn thing is on it’s third Yamaha MX800V engine in two years. Don’t let friends buy Yamaha powered mowers.