Yamaha engine

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had friend ask me about the Yamaha engine. Could not tell him anything about it since I have never seen one on a mower. Thought you guys could give me some feed back. Pros and cons in and out durability support ect. Thanks for any thing you might know about them. Says he can get one at a really good price.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tell your friend to stay away from the Yamaha V-Twin engine. I had a bad experience with one that came on a Gravely Pro Turn 160. It never held a steady idle speed. It seemed to cut out at higher engine speeds( RPM fluctuations). It would cut off after running hard for about 45 minutes. Vented gas caps installed. Carburetor rebuilt. Three trips back to the dealer. Carbon fouled plugs. Oil on plug threads. Left hand plug would get loose in head. It had high fuel consumption. The dealer gave me full price paid on trade for a Pro Turn 260 with Kohler. Gravely doesn’t even list the Yamaha engines in their 2022 catalog. Stay Away!
Made in China. Heck the Chinese made Loncins on Exmark and Toro are better engines.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've only had experience with Yamaha horizontals, I would put them up there with Honda and Kawasaki. J.A. Pan, of course.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've only had experience with Yamaha horizontals, I would put them up there with Honda and Kawasaki. J.A. Pan, of course.
Go to the Gravely, Bad Boy, and Yamaha engine part of the Forum and you will see the problems people are experiencing. Bad Boy no longer offers the Yamaha engines. Gravely doesn’t list them in this years catalog. I contacted Gravely to ask about that. The reply was sourcing and supply chain BS. Deep down, I believe that there are other reasons.

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
A couple of more things.
The Yamaha uses a 65 degree V-Twin design.
Yamaha uses a hemispherical head design with 3 valves per cylinder.
Valve adjustment is a bit different. Yamaha uses shim pads to adjust valve lash.

@hlw49 There could be a very good reason that your friend can get a good deal on a Yamaha engine. Or, a very bad reason.

RayMcD

Threads
Had friend ask me about the Yamaha engine. Could not tell him anything about it since I have never seen one on a mower. Thought you guys could give me some feed back. Pros and cons in and out durability support ect. Thanks for any thing you might know about them. Says he can get one at a really good price

I you are looking at Zero Turn machines find something with an upgraded air filter system. Machines with engines like the Kawasaski FR series with the small air filter right on the back of the engine are good for nothing but cleaning air filters. r

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
@RayMcD
What does the upgraded air filtration system have to do with the original question?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nothing but is it important
Most air filters on mowers are poor at the best so you should look at that when making the purchase decision
Damaged bores by bad filters come in a close second to too little oil as a terminal engine fault , particularly with a ZTR that is bagging .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nothing but is it important
Most air filters on mowers are poor at the best so you should look at that when making the purchase decision
Damaged bores by bad filters come in a close second to too little oil as a terminal engine fault , particularly with a ZTR that is bagging .
The particular Yamaha powered Gravely PT 160, that I owned, came standard with the Donaldson double air filter.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The particular Yamaha powered Gravely PT 160, that I owned, came standard with the Donaldson double air filter.
SO you got one of those Monday morning hangover specials
All the right gear wrongly put together .