XT2 Engine Pulley Removal

CubbyCommando

Threads
Hi All,

Trying to get this engine pulley off so I can replace the drive belt and that sucker is stuck on there pretty good. Any tips on how to remove? I've been trying with a 3 jaw puller but am afraid I'll bend the pulley.

Model
CC XT2 131QA1CQ010

Engine Pully.JPG

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You try unbolting the engine and see if you can move it around enough the get the belt off and on. Otherwise it is likely you will need to use heat and pull the pulley off destroying the pulley to get it off. CC is bad not to use any anti seize on the crankshafts and the pulleys rust on the crankshaft.

CubbyCommando

Threads
You try unbolting the engine and see if you can move it around enough the get the belt off and on. Otherwise it is likely you will need to use heat and pull the pulley off destroying the pulley to get it off. CC is bad not to use any anti seize on the crankshafts and the pulleys rust on the crankshaft.
Thanks StarTech. I'm probably going to have to go heat and puller route as I'm not feeling unbolting the engine. Additionally, even with my light use of the jaw puller I noticed I did in fact already bend it a bit so I just ordered a new pulley and plan to do it right with anti seize once I get it off. Cheers.

slomo

Lawn Pro
Threads
Spray it down every day for a couple weeks. Use your favorite penetrating lube of choice. This is the only way these type lubes work. If that doesn't help, heat, air hammers and puller time.

CubbyCommando

Threads
Spray it down every day for a couple weeks. Use your favorite penetrating lube of choice. This is the only way these type lubes work. If that doesn't help, heat, air hammers and puller time.
Thanks slomo!

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
if heat is applied don't heat the hub but heat the outer parameter of the pulley allowing the torch to reach the hub on occasion . The idea is to draw the hub from the shaft without heating the hub .

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have done a bunch of these types by MTD. Do yourself a favor and unbolt the engine. If you heat it enough to get it off you will probably damage the lower seal. The hacks will bend the 3 belt guides but that just proves they are hacks. The pulley is paper thin so any prying ruins them. MTD uses that same crap pulley and stamped guides on lots of different makes and models. If you have already buggered the pulley be prepared to remove the engine to get it off. I did one last year where the pulley was worn out and needed changed. Wound up removing the engine and drilling a series of holes in a line and the splitting it off with a chisel along the holes. Broke a thread rod on a bearing separator trying to get it off.

CubbyCommando

Threads
I have done a bunch of these types by MTD. Do yourself a favor and unbolt the engine. If you heat it enough to get it off you will probably damage the lower seal. The hacks will bend the 3 belt guides but that just proves they are hacks. The pulley is paper thin so any prying ruins them. MTD uses that same crap pulley and stamped guides on lots of different makes and models. If you have already buggered the pulley be prepared to remove the engine to get it off. I did one last year where the pulley was worn out and needed changed. Wound up removing the engine and drilling a series of holes in a line and the splitting it off with a chisel along the holes. Broke a thread rod on a bearing separator trying to get it off.
Ugh. Yeah the pulley is already bent so it needs to come off. I've been drenching it with PB which I'm going to keep hitting it with until the new pulley arrives. A post above recommended heating the pulley and not the hub so I'm going to try that and also hit it with an air hammer/chisel to see if I can break it free from the rust. If all else fails I guess I'll have to remove the engine but that's a last resort. Thanks for all the info provided. Cheers.

Tiger Small Engine

Lawn Addict
Threads
Since you probably don’t have a couple weeks, put the puller on it and destroy the pulley and install new one. Can also use an air hammer to help remove pulley. Option two, bend the tabs, install belt, bend tabs back into place. The “hacks” bend the tabs and don’t bend them back into place.

Last edited: