XT1 Lt54 draining battery

gpascazio

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,

Hoping to get some direction on a problem I am having with my Cub Cadet XT1 LT54. I can't seem to keep the starter battery charged.
I installed a new battery about a week ago however when I went to start the tractor I had problems getting the engine to turn over. After turning the ignition switch on and off a few time i was able to get the started to turn the engine enough to start the tractor. Can anybody give me some direction on where to start diagnosing and fixing the problem. TYA

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check all electrical connections by hand making sure all connections are tight & secure without rust or corrosion. If new battery has caps remove them making sure all 6 ports are on full mark, if not top off with distilled water. Safety First wear Safety Glasses. Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

Last edited:

gpascazio

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is what I have done so far:
Checked all connections and they are all tight.
Checked voltage to battery when tractor is running. Voltage is between 13.39 and 14 v.
Battery is brand new. It is holding a charge if I disconnect the battery.
My hunch is that the ignition switch is the problem. My reason is that if I shut the switch off and then back on it will start to crank and start.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A bad diode in the rectifier can cause similar symptoms
Try unplugging it
You should be able to mow for 3 to 6 hours on a good battery before it is drained

gpascazio

Forum Newbie
Threads
A bad diode in the rectifier can cause similar symptoms
Try unplugging it
You should be able to mow for 3 to 6 hours on a good battery before it is drained
What does the rectifier look like? I am not familiar with this part.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All you will see is a plug about 2" long with 3 wires that goes onto terminals hanging out of the blower housing
The rectifier sits inside the blower housing because it gets very hot and needs cooling air
The plug will be hard to pull off and will have 1 purple wire + 2 others the same colour, usually white, black or yellow

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also if you have mowing with the mower you might have electric PTO draining the battery during operation if it is partially shorted. I have see these to draw up to 16+ amps and still work. If manufactures would simply put a 7.5 amp in the PTO clutch circuit would help as a good clutch draws under 5 amps.