XT1 LT42E Battery issue

rmichael777

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a Cub Cadet XT1 LT42E a few months ago and everything was fine. Cuts very well. My yard is a little over an acre with several trees and planting areas. The first 5-6 times I could cut the entire yard on a single charge in about an hour and a half with 10% left over. With fall arriving, I switched to mulching blades (but still using the side discharge) and now I barely get 45 minutes out of a charge. I started at 12:16 today with 100% and it was down to 7% at 1:09. Would the heavier mulching blades make such a huge difference? What else could be causing this?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why the need for mulching blades with a side slinger chute?

Also batteries degrade over time and charge cycles. Next year you might not even get it all cut till she dies. One bad cell will pull down the entire pack.

I hope you mow first as far out from the house as possible. So when the mower dies on you, you don't have to push it that one acre back to the shed.

rmichael777

Forum Newbie
Threads
I switched to the mulching blades due to the very beginnings of the fall of leaves and pine straw. My yard is centipede and it’s still growing a bit and I don’t put on the mulching attachment until the grass growth slows…which will be in a few weeks. If the cells in the battery are deteriorating after 2 months I’ll certainly complain… the mower is obviously still under full warranty. Not to worry too much about having to push the mower. Once the battery level reaches 5% the blade motors automatically turn off and there’s plenty of juice to get back to the garage.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I switched to the mulching blades due to the very beginnings of the fall of leaves and pine straw. My yard is centipede and it’s still growing a bit and I don’t put on the mulching attachment until the grass growth slows…which will be in a few weeks. If the cells in the battery are deteriorating after 2 months I’ll certainly complain… the mower is obviously still under full warranty. Not to worry too much about having to push the mower. Once the battery level reaches 5% the blade motors automatically turn off and there’s plenty of juice to get back to the garage.
Batteries are batteries. Can fail at any time. New these days doesn't mean much like it used to.

I would go gas if you plan on keeping the mower over 5 years.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I would imagine its still in warranty. let Cub fix it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And to answer the original question,,,
YES
What gobbles up the extra power is shifting all of that wind around under the deck.
Mulching blades are supposed to cut the grass then toss the clipping up in the air while chopping them up a few more times before tossing them out the side.
All of this uses energy and that comes from the batteries so you will either need to do your yard 1/2 at a time or buy a spare battery pack or stop using the mulching blades.