Would like insight to what else to check

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I had a customer call me last Wednesday morning to tell me his ATV had been stolen and keep an eye out for it just in case it came in for repairs. Customer called me this morning to tell me it had been recovered in a rock quarry this morning from a pond, and if I could come get it to see if I could repair it. So far I have drained the air filter housing, carb, engine oil, and both differentials, removed the exhaust and drained water from exhaust and well as removed spark plug, and blew water from cylinder.

Other than possibly water contamination of electric connections, can anybody thing of anything else to check. I may go ahead and pull the shift motor and see if there is water in there. Other than what I have mentioned I am just planning to let it drain and dry out for a few days, before attempting to start. What do you guys think.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would drain all of the fluids, but only till they stopped dripping, refill with oil and gas and get it running if possible. Letting it sit a few days will just allow rust to start
and cause nothing but trouble.

After a short period, check the fluids for milkiness, which indicates water contamination, and change again. It may be expensive, but still cheaper than rebuilding
engine and trans.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I considered the rust issue, but am also worried about water in the electric cooling fan, as well as the shift motor, and shift angle sensor. Those last two items are a normal problem with Honda ATV's that have not been submerged. it appears that the ATV hadn't been in the water that long. The fuse block is try due to a sealing o ring around the cover. Most connectors on ATV's are water tight but if water gets in them they are about impossible to get dried out, if you can get to them without disassembling half the ATV,

Mikel1

Threads
Also check the stator assembly for water in there.
You could always get another wire loom if you have to due to the water being trapped. I agree with Fish on the rust part.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yah, most of the electric crap on 4 wheelers is inside the crankcase, the rest of it is pretty much protected from water,
so that Is why I made my post.

But I am in no way anyone that should be saying anything about 4-wheelers!!!!!

txzrider

Threads
At the very least if not starting it asap... fog the cylinder.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before starting, I would pull the clutch and give it a good cleaning and check the brakes to make sure that all four have the proper travel.

DaveTN

Threads
Why not give the cycle dealer mechanics a call? I'm sure they'd love to share info with you, give you some pointers. Any cycle shop would do since we worked on various bikes when I was working at Suzuki. I hear the cycle repair industry has 3 levels of mechanics / technicians now. Similar to Diesel Mechanics and Auto Mechanics.