Wont start. Bad pto clutch?

jeffro79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update! -No compression in either cylinder. Guessing head gasket? Worth repair or get new motor?

Hi. I have a Husqvarna mzt61. Fired it up, engaged pto. Blades spun. Through earmuffs sounded rough\racket and maybe weak. I shut it down. After looking things over, it will not start. Cranks strong. Would bad pro clutch keep it from starting? Fuses good. Blades don't spin when cranking.

Last edited:

Bertrrr

Threads
Your PTO clutch is not in play at start up, there are safeties involved to keep it from even spinning over if the clutch is engaged

kbowley

Threads
Doesn't sound good...those Kawasaki's are decent engines...is the oil level okay? I would do a compression test first. Not sure what type of noise you heard but engine noises are generally not a good thing. How many hours on it? How long did it run before the noise?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Doesn't sound good...those Kawasaki's are decent engines...is the oil level okay? I would do a compression test first. Not sure what type of noise you heard but engine noises are generally not a good thing. How many hours on it? How long did it run before the noise?
What crystal ball are you using? M-ZT61 came with both Briggs and Kawasaki depending which version the OP has. Just can't assume they only have Kawasaki engines.

kbowley

Threads
And what difference does that make regarding the issue?

jeffro79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your PTO clutch is not in play at start up, there are safeties involved to keep it from even spinning over if the clutch is engaged
Right. I was just giving any details I could think of. I didn’t know if they ever ceased up in engaged position. Thanks

jeffro79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Briggs motor. Oil is good. Sound from what i recall was a clunking or grinding. I noticed right before that it seemed weak. I only made it about 50 feet, engaged the pto, heard problems then shut it down. High hours. I just got it used. Thanks

jeffro79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just did test. No compression in either cylinder. Yikes. Guessing culprit has to be head gasket? Would you consider that worth the repair or get new motor?

kbowley

Threads
Not a head gasket, pull the valve cover off and take a look at the rocker arms while rotating the engine by hand to ensure they are moving as you rotate. Sounds like a failed camshaft. What year is the machine? Please post the Husqvarna model number and serial number of the unit.

Last edited:

jeffro79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not a head gasket, pull the valve cover off and take a look at the rocker arms while rotating the engine by hand. Sounds like a failed camshaft. Quite common on the older Kawasaki engines that used a plastic cam gear. Not sure what year they changed to a new cam. What year is the machine? please post the Husqvarna model number of the unit.
Thanks. Will do. Watching yt videos. Its a briggs. See what i find when i open it up. 👍🏻