wont run, smokes like crazy

bgarrett

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys, I bought a Craftsman ZTL 7000 at an estate sale last weekend. maybe a 2013 model? B&S engine 445677. It ran good, didnt smoke and mowed before I paid for it. Got home, checked the oil, full, not overfull, looks clean. Checked the air filter, looks clean. Used it to mow one time, it started instantly, ran good, mowed well, didnt smoke.
Today, the battery was dead, wont turn over. No problem, charged the battery, now the starter spins over very well, wont start. finally starts on full choke, runs 5 seconds dies, smokes like crazy. Tried 3 times, same result every time. gas filter looks clean
Now the air filter has oil in it and oil running out of oil hose to right side valve cover.
Did something get stopped up?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dude probably ran pure motor honey to sell it off. You said the oil looked good as in possibly new. I would dump the oil and put some fresh SAE 30 in there. If you still have oil coming out of where it shouldn't, next would be a head gasket possibly.

1653515551201.png

Did you leave the key on?

I would flush the fuel tank and clean the carb. Use safety glasses when spraying carb cleaner.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would check the oil level again. If it is overfilled and smells like gas, the float needle in the carb is stuck open allowing fuel to flow straight through the carb and into the engine cylinder and block. Fix is to rebuild the car with a new float needle and seat. Plus, remove the spark plug and ground the spark plug wire. Spin the engine over and you will probably have fuel blowing out the spark plug hole. You’ll also have to change the oil. If this is not the problem, post back with the smoke color and the type and code numbers for the engine.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get one of these. Install it in your fuel line going to the carb. Shut the fuel off about a minute prior to you finishing mowing.

1653516479143.png

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Only if you want a DIY bandaid fix and not solve the problem.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry Slomo I have to disagree. They give people a false sense of security and if they forget to shut it off the problem rears it’s ugly head again. I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen them on a unit and the customer thinks they solved the problem when they installed them.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is a case of Belt + Braces
If the float is leaking then the mower will run rich so it has to be fixed
But a tap will prevent the sump filling with fuel
A lot of mower & stationary engines come fitted standard with a tap
Honda being one of them .
I for one always fit a tap up stream from the air filter
Even if the customer does not use it, I do when I change the filter or service the carb.

Back to Bgarret.
Rivets has probably nailed it.
oil in the air filter is the give away
Three reasons for this
Thin oil
too much oil
blown head gasket

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry Slomo I have to disagree. They give people a false sense of security and if they forget to shut it off the problem rears it’s ugly head again. I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen them on a unit and the customer thinks they solved the problem when they installed them.
You know and I know they are not a true fix for a needle and seat repair. Obviously when the needle sticks open, I won't get fuel in my oil.

lbrac

Threads
This might not be your problem but several symptoms are common with this problem. I've had neighbors leave the key on with mowers that have fuel shut-off solenoids on the carb bowl. It kills the battery and, if there is enough fuel in the tank, fuel overflows into the engine. After charging the battery, fuel/oil will spit back onto the air filter when trying to start it. If it is run with enough fuel in the oil, the engine will eventually fail. Recheck the oil level and smell the oil on the dip stick to check for gasoline smell. If the level is high and it smells of fuel, drain the oil and replace it and the filter, if equipped w/ one; clean the air filter or replace it if not cleanable. Check the plug to see if it is dry.