Won’t start...what’s this connection?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yes it does
when you turn the key, you should be able hear it click when the key goes into battery on position, not start. Or place your finger on it and try to feel it click.

Mower King

Threads
Saw how to test with 9v battery but haven’t done that yet
Yes it does
Yeah, I would check this solenoid....fuel can get to the carb via gravity or pump and fill the carb bowel but, if this solenoid is not working, it shuts all the fuel from going into the venture of the carb, then the engine...and won't start!

millennium3

Threads
Yeah, I would check this solenoid....fuel can get to the carb via gravity or pump and fill the carb bowel but, if this solenoid is not working, it shuts all the fuel from going into the venture of the carb, then the engine...and won't start!
Seemed to click once but won’t again...and nothing felt. Won’t hurt to replace this. Thanks!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Before you buy a new one, I would do this, especially since that solenoid is not necessary for proper engine function, remove the solenoid, they usually have two flats on them that a 1/2" wrench will fit, you may have to take a cheap wrench and grind it down to fit in the space below the bowl . Anyhow, remove the solenoid, get a pair of cutters and snip the metal plunger rod off even with the top of the solenoid. Reinstall.
Unplug it and usually I wrap the wires up in electrical tape and tuck them out of the way. With the plunger rod cut off, fuel will be free to flow into the main jet when starting.